Baked Vegetable Frittata
Recipe video above. This tastes like a crustless quiche! Soft and custardy on the inside, flavoured with a sprinkle of cheese and feta, studded with Roasted Herb Garlic Vegetables and . SWITCH the veggies with 5 - 7 CUPS OF ANYTHING you want: cooked chicken, flaked tuna or salmon (fresh or canned), other vegetables, antipasto type things. See post for more ideas!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 25 mins
Servings: 8 - 12 slices
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cups (185 ml) cream or milk , full fat best (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 1.5 cups (150g) shredded cheese (cheddar, tasty, or other of choice)
- 100g/3 oz mushroom, sliced (I used 1 large, optional)
- 100g / 3oz feta , crumbled (optional)
Herb Garlic Roasted Vegetables (Note 2 for switches):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tsp mixed dried herbs (or use any of choice)
- 350g / 12oz pumpkin , butternut or sweet potato, 1.7cm / 0.7" cubes
- 2 zucchinis , sliced 1.25 / 0.5" thick rounds
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
Preheat oven to 220C/430F (standard) or 200C/390F (fan).
Toss vegetables on tray with oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Spread out.
Roast 25 minutes, undisturbed (no flipping).
Remove and cool slightly.
Lower oven to 180C/350F (standard) or 160C/320F (fan).
Grease and line a 19 x 30cm / 8 x 10" or 22 cm / 9" square pan with parchment paper with overhang. (Note 3)
Whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Place most of the vegetables in the prepared pan.
Pour over egg mixture, sprinkle with cheese, then top with remaining vegetables.
Top with crumbled feta, then mushrooms. Drizzle mushrooms with olive oil.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes until centre is just set.
Rest frittata 5 minutes.
Use paper overhang to lift out of pan, then slice into squares and serve.
Serving later: Cool on rack (otherwise base gets soggy). Cut then refrigerate up to 5 days, or freeze. Reheat in microwave for 30 seconds.
1. Cream makes it silkier and richer than milk, like quiche. But milk works just fine! Full fat better than light but light is also just fine.
2. Vegetable switch outs: 5 to 7 cups of any roastable vegetables of choice, OR anything else you want to put in: cooked chicken, flaked salmon (fresh or canned), ham, antipasto type things (olives, chargrilled peppers, artichokes).
3. Pan size - don't get too hung up about pan size, if your pan is smaller then make yours a rdeep dish frittata. If there's overflow, stop pouring egg mixture in and put the leftover in a ramekin. OR use the recipe scaler (tap /click servings and slide down) - for a 20cm/8" square pan, slide down to 8 eggs.
Just don't use a pan that's much larger otherwise your frittata will be disappointingly thin.
4. Nutrition per slice, 8 servings (pretty decent size piece).
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 268mg | Sodium: 726mg | Potassium: 468mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5180IU | Vitamin C: 32.1mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 1.9mg