Recipe video above. This is just a great everyday Chicken Marinade, one you make with things you've already got with plenty of sub options (see notes). It will make any cut of chicken extra juicy, infuse it with savoury flavour that's a touch of sweet, with a hint of herby goodness. Especially good for chicken breast!
1. Chicken - marinade will work for any cut of chicken thought I mostly use skinless boneless cuts.
Easiest to BAKE bone in cuts (breast, legs, thighs) - see Note 4.
2. Quick Marinade 30 min to 1 hr - cut breasts in half horizontally to form 2 thin steaks. For whole thighs or breast, poke a few holes in each breast using a fork. For drumsticks, cut a couple of slashes with knife.
3. Marinade subs:
- Brown sugar - sub 2 tbsp white sugar, 1.5 tbsp honey, maple syrup
- Soy - any normal, all purpose soy or light soy good here, or tamari, mushroom soy sauce. If you have sweet soy or kecap manis, skip sugar. Dark soy sauce not recommended (label will say "dark soy).
- No soy? Dissolve 1 tsp salt in 4 tbsp water, then use in place of soy sauce.
- Lemon - sub with less sharp vinegars like cider vinegar, white wine or red wine vinegar, rice vinegar. Or 1.5 tbsp other vinegars (normal white vinegar, balsamic)
- Worcestershire - dollop of ketchup or BBQ sauce would be a decent sub there! Say 2 tbsp, then cut down sugar. HP Sauce, steak sauce or other savoury sauces also good.
- Garlic - 3 tsp from jar, or 3/4 tsp dried garlic powder good here. Also 1/4 tsp onion powder would be nice too.
- Dried herbs - anything is the go here, go with what you like. Fresh won't really work here, too delicate unless doing a short marinade. Exception - fresh rosemary is terrific, 1 tsp finely chopped.
4. Baking directions - stove is best to get nice browning, but to bake, cook as follows:
- Breast and boneless thighs - bake 18 minutes at 425F/220C oven, or internal temperature is 165F/75C, followed by quick grill/broil on high to brown
- Drumsticks, wings and bone in thighs - 50 minutes at 180C/350F, basting with juices once or twice
5. Storage - Cooked chicken will be good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge, I always reheat in microwave because it keeps it moist. If keeping cooked chicken, boneless thigh is best (stays juiciest).
Freeze raw chicken in marinade as soon as you make it up (chicken will marinade while thawing!). Thaw then cook per recipe.