Recipe video above. Use this marinade to transform economical roast beef into something special! It will infuse with flavour, add juiciness and make the beef tender. KEY TIP: internal temp of beef rises by 8C/14F while resting, so must take out of oven BEFORE desired internal temp, see Note 4. Marinade 2 - 3 days.
1. Beef Cuts - Recipe designed to add flavour and tenderise economical roast beef cut, such as:
- Oyster Blade Roast (Aus) / Top Blade Roast (US).
- Bolar Blade (Aus/parts of UK)
- Eye of Round Roast (US)
- Silverside (Aus/UK) / Bottom Round Roast (US) - no CORNED silverside, it's been brined already. Use corned silverside for Pastrami.
- Rump Roast (Aust) / Top Sirloin Roast (US)^ - only if you get super economical ones.
- Topside Roast (Aus/UK name) / Top Round Roast (US)^- only if you get super economical ones.
* If you get good to high quality of these ones, do not marinade, they will be good as is.
Do not use for:
- expensive roast beef cuts like prime rib / standing rib roast, scotch fillet roast (which is standing rib minus the bone), tenderloin, strip loin roast / Porterhouse roast.
- chuck, brisket, ribs or shank (these need to be slow cooked, recipe needs amendment)
2. Marinade options
- Mustard - can leave out or use other mustard
- Balsamic - 2 tbsp vinegar
- Sugar - honey, maple, other liquid sweeteners
- Herbs - any of choice
- Onion powder - garlic powder, or omit
3. Internal Temperature of Roast Beef: The internal temperature will rise by 8°C / 14°F while it is resting so it needs to be taken out of the oven before it reaches your desired doneness. Here are the internal temperatures of cooked beef:
- Rare is 49°C/120°F. Remove from oven when it is 41°C/ 106°F.
- Medium rare is 52°C / 125°F. Remove from oven when it is 44°C / 111°F. Medium rare is my preference.
- Medium is 55°F / 130°F. Remove from oven at 48°C/118°F.
- Medium well done is 57°C/135°F. Remove from oven at 49°C/120°F.
COOK TIMES for different sizes: Add 10 -15 minutes for each 1 kg/ 2 lb, but start checking the internal temp early just to be sure.
TIP: Once the internal temp hits 40°C/104°F, the internal temp increases by about 5°C/10°F every 3-4 minutes.
4. Gravy is optional, the beef is flavour infused and ultra juicy, gravy is not necessary (but I personally never say no!)