Marinated Roast Beef
Recipe video above. Use this marinade to transform economical roast beef into something special! It will infuse with flavour, add juiciness and make the beef tender. KEY TIP: internal temp of beef rises by 8C/14F while resting, so must take out of oven BEFORE desired internal temp, see Note 4. Marinade 2 - 3 days.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 6 - 8 people
- 1.5kg / 3 lb Top Blade Roast, Bolar Blade, Eye of Round Roast, Oyster Blade Roast or other economical roast beef cut (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Marinade (Note 2):
- 3 garlic cloves , minced (2.5 tsp jar)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 potatoes , cut into 5cm/2" chunks
- 4 carrots , peeled cut into 4cm/1.7" pieces
- Salt and pepper
Gravy (optional, Note 4)
- 4 tbsp (50g) flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) beef broth (stock), low sodium
- 3/4 tsp black pepper , coarsely ground
Mix Marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag.
Add beef, marinade for 2 days (24 hrs min, 3 days max).
Take beef out of fridge 1 hour prior.
Preheat oven to 240C/450F.
Toss vegetables in all beef marinade liquid, spread out in ovenproof skillet, top with beef.
Drizzle with oil, roast 20 minutes.
Turn oven down to 180C/350F (160C fan), roast for a further 35 - 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre registers 44°C / 111°F for medium rare (Note 3 for more temps).
Remove beef onto plate, cover loosely in foil and rest for 20 - 30 minutes (internal temp will rise to 52°C / 125°F which is perfect medium rare!).
Return vegetables to oven to brown a bit, if needed.
To serve, slice beef thinly. Serve roast veg and juices in the skillet OR make gravy (below)!
Remove vegetables, leave juices in skillet. Skim excess off fat from surface, leave behind 2 tbsp.
Place on medium high heat on stove. Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
Slowly add beef stock while stirring. If needed, use whisk to remove lumps.
Bring to simmer for 2 minutes until thickens to gravy consistency. Stir in pepper and salt if needed. Serve with beef.
1. Beef Cuts - Recipe designed to add flavour and tenderise economical roast beef cut, such as:
* If you get good to high quality of these ones, do not marinade, they will be good as is.
Do not use for:
- Oyster Blade Roast (Aus) / Top Blade Roast (US).
- Bolar Blade (Aus/parts of UK)
- Eye of Round Roast (US)
- Silverside (Aus/UK) / Bottom Round Roast (US) - no CORNED silverside, it's been brined already. Use corned silverside for Pastrami.
- Rump Roast (Aust) / Top Sirloin Roast (US)^ - only if you get super economical ones.
- Topside Roast (Aus/UK name) / Top Round Roast (US)^- only if you get super economical ones.
2. Marinade options
- expensive roast beef cuts like prime rib / standing rib roast, scotch fillet roast (which is standing rib minus the bone), tenderloin, strip loin roast / Porterhouse roast.
- chuck, brisket, ribs or shank (these need to be slow cooked, recipe needs amendment)
3. Internal Temperature of Roast Beef: The internal temperature will rise by 8°C / 14°F while it is resting so it needs to be taken out of the oven before it reaches your desired doneness. Here are the internal temperatures of cooked beef:
- Mustard - can leave out or use other mustard
- Balsamic - 2 tbsp vinegar
- Sugar - honey, maple, other liquid sweeteners
- Herbs - any of choice
- Onion powder - garlic powder, or omit
COOK TIMES for different sizes: Add 10 -15 minutes for each 1 kg/ 2 lb, but start checking the internal temp early just to be sure.
TIP: Once the internal temp hits 40°C/104°F, the internal temp increases by about 5°C/10°F every 3-4 minutes.
4. Gravy is optional, the beef is flavour infused and ultra juicy, gravy is not necessary (but I personally never say no!)
- Rare is 49°C/120°F. Remove from oven when it is 41°C/ 106°F.
- Medium rare is 52°C / 125°F. Remove from oven when it is 44°C / 111°F. Medium rare is my preference.
- Medium is 55°F / 130°F. Remove from oven at 48°C/118°F.
- Medium well done is 57°C/135°F. Remove from oven at 49°C/120°F.
Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 63g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 1366mg | Potassium: 1571mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6805IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 9.6mg