Cucumber Salad with Herb & Garlic Dressing (Vinaigrette)
Recipe video above. Crisp, juicy cucumber and a tasty Herb & Garlic Vinaigrette makes for a sensational salad!! It's refreshing with extra flavour from the dressing - I can eat SO MUCH of this!! A touch of mustard is key here - thickens the dressing to help it coat the cucumber slices.
Servings: 5 people
- 3 cucumbers , standard (or 2 long Telegraph/English cucumber(Note 1)
- 1/2 red onion , finely diced
Herb & Garlic Dressing:
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar (Note 2)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp mixed dried herbs (Note 3 sub)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper , EACH
Shake Dressing in a jar.
Cucumber: Trim ends then slice about 3 mm/ 1/8" thick.
Place in bowl with red onion.
Pour over Dressing, toss gently and serve immediately.
1. Cucumber type - use 2 long cucumbers (Telegraph/English Cucumbers) or 3 medium standard cucumbers (called "Lebanese" cucumbers in Australia, these are the most common variety).
2. Red wine vinegar - a type of vinegar that is red in colour, also used in Greek Salad. Sub with white wine vinegar, champagne or sherry vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. If using normal white vinegar, reduce to 1 tbsp.
3. Mixed Herbs - sub or 1/4 tsp each basil or parsley, oregano and thyme (or other dried herbs of choice)
4. Nutrition per serving, assumes all Dressing consumed. Reality is that about 1/3 of it ends up in the bottom of the bowl - Dressing doesn't stick to cucumber as well as other vegetables.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg