Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
My Broccoli Cheese Soup is cheesy and creamy but it's HEALTHY because it's not made with cream. It's also much faster than other ways of making broccoli soup - and just as delicious! See how easy and creamy it is in my cooking video (see in post above).
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 cups / 1 litre chicken broth / stock
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml milk (I used low fat)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1.4 lb/700g broccoli , cut into smallish florets
- 1 onion , diced (brown, white yellow)
- 2 potatoes , peeled and diced into 2/3"/1.5cm cubes
- 2 cups cheddar or tasty cheese , preferably freshly grated about 150g/5oz
- Salt and pepper
To Serve (optional)
- Cream , for drizzling
- Extra grated cheese
Bring the broth, milk and garlic to a boil over high heat in a large pot.
Add broccoli, onion and potatoes. Bring to simmer, then place the lid on, turn the heat down to medium high and cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
Take the pot off the stove. Puree using a stick blender until smooth, or to taste (Note 1).
Add cheese, a handful at a time and stirring after each addition until mostly melted.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls. Drizzle with cream and top with extra grated cheese, if desired.
1. In the top 2 photos in this post, I pureed the soup very well. In the bottom 2 photos, I did not puree it quite as much. It's quite smooth, but there are still dark green flecks of broccoli in the soup. Puree the soup to your taste.
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings.
Serving: 544g | Calories: 299kcal