Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Recipe video above. This Broccoli Soup is a cream of broccoli soup that's thick and creamy, with a great hit of cheese! It's creamy whether you make it with or without cream, though the cream does add an extra edge of luxury. Don't forget the hot crusty bread for dunking!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 tbsp (15g) butter (or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , diced (brown, white yellow)
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth / stock , low sodium (or veg stock)
- 1.5 cups (325ml) water
- 700g / 1.4lb) broccoli florets (2 large broccoli + diced peeled stem, Note 1)
- 2 potatoes , peeled and diced into 1.5cm / 2/3" cubes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 cups (150g) cheddar cheese , shredded (or other cheese of choice)
- 3/4 cup (165ml) cream or milk
To Serve (optional)
- Cream, for drizzling
- Extra grated cheese
Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 2 minutes until onion is softened.
Add broth/ water, broccoli, potato, salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, then place the lid on, turn the heat down to medium high and cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
Turn stove off (but leave on stove). Puree using a stick blender until smooth (Note 2).
Stir in cream, then add cheese a handful at a time, stirring in between to melt.
Taste and add more salt if desired.
Ladle into bowls. Drizzle with cream and top with extra grated cheese, if desired.
1. Broccoli - Cut/break florets off, then cut the thick skin off the stem and dice into small pieces, then throw them into the pot too.
2 large broccoli heads yields about 700g/1.4lb of broccoli (including stems). Can also use frozen broccoli.
2. Pureeing soup - if using a blender, blend in 2 batches and allow soup to cool slightly before blitzing (hot soup in fully sealed blender = soup exploding everywhere!). Place lid on blender but REMOVE the feeding hole lid. Fold a tea towel and cover the hole, then use your hand to hold the tea towel in place. Start on low then increase speed.
(PS If you like healthy creamy soups, invest in a blender stick. Trust me, it's worth every penny)
3. Storage - keeps perfectly in the fridge for 4 to 5 days, and freezes 100% perfectly for months (my standard rule is 3 months).
4. Nutrition per serving. Reduces to 280 calories if made with full fat milk instead of cream.
Serving: 544g | Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 630mg | Potassium: 882mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1740IU | Vitamin C: 137mg | Calcium: 339mg | Iron: 4mg