Throw it all in a pot, and you’re just 20 minutes away from a creamy, cheesy bowl of comfort that’s just 300 calories. See for yourself how easy (and creamy!) it is in this Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup cooking video!
I did say I promised to do more “green” recipes, didn’t I? Plenty of green in this soup….and CHEESE too! 😉
But seriously, I joke about this being cheesy and there definitely IS cheese flavour in this. But because of the way I make this, it’s creamy and cheesy but it’s still very healthy.
You’ll find many creamy broccoli soups are made with a roux, being melted butter mixed with flour which thickens the soup. You’ll also find many creamy broccoli soups made with cream.
This soup uses neither of those. Broccoli that’s been pureed is smooth and creamy anyway, and I use potatoes to thicken the soup. Works super well!
You can see for yourself how super easy this is to make and how lovely and creamy it is in this little video I made. Baby Hands Alert! (Not as bad as the extreme dosage of Baby Hands in the Ham and Cheese Puffs video. That was seriously extreme. My family burst out into wild laughter when I showed them that video!)
So now that I’m done talking up how healthy this is, I can revert back to what I’m really good at – emphasising the cheesiness. 😉 Honestly, I promise you, there is not a ridiculous amount of cheese in this. 2 cups of cheese might sound like a lot, but it’s not. It’s around 150g/5oz if you use freshly grated cheese. Which I do, for this recipe, because it melts more easily into the soup.
I use most in the soup but I reserve a bit to plonk on top of the soup. Because by the time the soup gets to the table, that extra cheese starts to ooze so your first spoonful of the creamy soup looks like this…..
Here’s a photo from another time I made this soup. You can see that I didn’t puree it quite as much as in the version above so there are still little specks of dark green in the soup from the broccoli.
PS I’ve made this an unusual number of times recently even though it’s (supposed to be) summer here in Sydney because a) the weather has been unusually wet and miserable and b) I keep finding broccoli on special. 😉
Because it’s so fast to make, one of those “throw it all in the pot” type recipes, I made it for lunch the other day and got inspired to serve it up in teacups to take a pretty picture.
But let’s be very clear about one thing. One little teacup of this soup was not my lunch. It was more like three.
Hey – remember, it’s healthy! 😉 – Nagi x
PS The “green-ness” of your soup will differ depending on the green-ness and quality of broccoli you use. You can see that in the top 2 photos, the colour is more like pea soup whereas the green colour in the photo below is more olive.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups / 1 litre chicken broth / stock
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml milk (I used low fat)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1.4 lb/700g broccoli , cut into smallish florets
- 1 onion , diced (brown, white yellow)
- 2 potatoes , peeled and diced into 2/3"/1.5cm cubes
- 2 cups cheddar or tasty cheese , preferably freshly grated about 150g/5oz
- Salt and pepper
To Serve (optional)
- Cream , for drizzling
- Extra grated cheese
- Bring the broth, milk and garlic to a boil over high heat in a large pot.
- Add broccoli, onion and potatoes. Bring to simmer, then place the lid on, turn the heat down to medium high and cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
- Take the pot off the stove. Puree using a stick blender until smooth, or to taste (Note 1).
- Add cheese, a handful at a time and stirring after each addition until mostly melted.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls. Drizzle with cream and top with extra grated cheese, if desired.