Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Recipe VIDEO above. Salisbury steak is a totally scrumptious way to transform the humble ground beef / mince into something amazing! The onion grating / soaking breadcrumbs will make your patties extra tasty and tender, and the Mushroom Gravy is made extra delicious by cooking the Salisbury Steaks IN the gravy!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1/2 onion (white, brown or yellow)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or 1/3 cup ordinary breadcrumbs)
- 1 lb/500g ground beef (mince)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 beef bouillon cube , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 5 oz/150g mushrooms , sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (35g) flour (all purpose / plain)
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef broth / stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
Place breadcrumbs in a bowl. Use a box grater and grate the onion over the breadcrumbs. Mix with fingers, leave to soak for a few minutes.
Add remaining Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined - don't over mix.
Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around 3/4" / 1 2/3 cm thick.
Cooking and Gravy
Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside). Remove onto plate.
If skillet is looking dry, add a touch more oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2 minute until onions are a bit translucent.
Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until golden.
Turn heat down to medium. Add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Gradually add in beef broth, stirring as you go. Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients.
Add steaks along with the juices on the plate. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened, stirring occasionally around the steaks. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add more water.
Remove steaks onto a plate. Taste gravy and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve salisbury steaks topped with the mushroom gravy - over mashed potato is ideal! Sprinkle with a bit of parsley if desired.
1. Recipe originally published December 2015. Cooking steps streamlined to make it more efficient. Ingredients have remained the same. If you are determined to continue using the original recipe, here is a PDF version.
2. Nutrition below is per serving for the Salisbury Steak + gravy, no sides.
Serving: 316g | Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 101mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 678mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 225IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 3.4mg