Easy Taco Soup
Recipe video above. All the fixings of a taco - in soup form! Don't skip the toppings - they totally make it! At least cheese and sour cream or yoghurt are essential.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 - 5 people
Homemade Taco Seasoning (Note 1)
- 1 tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp EACH dried oregano and paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , finely chopped (brown or yellow)
- 500 g / 1 lb ground beef (mince), lean
- 400 g/ 14 oz can black beans (1 can) , drained and rinsed (Note 2)
- 400g / 14oz can corn kernels (1 can) , drained and rinsed
- 120 g / 4.5 oz canned green chili (Note 3)
- 800 g / 28 oz canned crushed tomato
- 2 cups beef broth
Toppings (Don't skip these!)
- Shredded cheese (essential!)
- Sour cream or yoghurt (essential!)
- Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves or shallots/scallions , finely sliced
- Corn chips
- Other options: diced avocado, squeeze of lime juice
Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until softened (3 min).
Add beef and turn up the heat to high. Cook, breaking it up as you go, until it all changes from pink to brown.
Add remaining Soup ingredients and Taco Seasoning. Bring to a simmer then turn heat down to medium.
Simmer for 10 minutes to bring the flavours together. Adjust thickness with water if desired.
This is how I like to serve it: place a handful of corn chips in the bowl. Ladle in soup. Top with sour cream, cheese, coriander and a few crushed corn chips. For a healthier option, skip the corn chips in the bowl and/or serve more on the top / side of the soup.
1. Can be substituted with 1 packet of store bought taco seasoning.
2. Can be substituted with any other beans of choice.
3. Canned green chillis are widely available in the US but are not sold in Australia. I brought back loads the last time I was in the US! They aren't spicy, they just have chili flavour with some smokiness. If you are in Australia, just leave it out.
4. Nutrition excludes toppings because I cannot be held responsible for how much you load it up! Nutrition is per serving (5 servings).
Easy Taco Soup
Amount Per Serving (562 g)
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 500IU10%
Vitamin C 34mg41%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 562g | Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 1587mg | Potassium: 1686mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 8.7mg