It’s everything you know and love about tacos….in soup form! This quick and easy Taco Soup is made with beef, corn and beans. It’s thick, hearty, and a total crowd pleaser. Don’t skip the toppings. They seal the deal!
This Taco Soup recipe was originally published in February 2017, updated September 2018 for housekeeping matters. No change to recipe – readers love it as is!
I say this is an easy Taco Soup and actually, I don’t know how to make a hard taco soup. Well, I personally don’t make fancy taco soup but I was watching a cooking show the other day and somehow, Bobby Flay managed to make taco soup to a whole new level of complexity.
Mine is not like his! Mine is really easy. Especially if you choose to make it with a packet of taco seasoning rather than using the homemade one I’ve provided in the recipe. Up to you!
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING FOR TACO SOUP
QUICK AND EASY
This is a terrific quick and easy recipe. Kind of like making Bolognese – except we add taco flavourings. Cook onion and garlic until translucent, then brown the beef. Add taco seasoning, corn, beans, beef, canned tomato, beef or chicken broth, and canned green chili if you have it.
Simmer for just 10 minutes to bring the flavours together, then it’s ready to ladle into bowls.
TOPPINGS FOR TACO SOUP
Taco Soup is all about the toppings. You cannot skip the toppings. Let me repeat – you cannot skip the toppings!!! You may omit one of the toppings. Leaving out two is really pushing my boundaries…. 😂
But let me explain – I’m not being difficult, it’s what this recipe is! The soup itself is lovely, don’t get me wrong. It’s seasoned enough that you’d want to eat it plain.
But in all honesty, once you add the toppings…. woah. That’s when this Taco Soup goes from yum to Can’t-Stop-Eating-It-Delicious. THAT is when you will say “OMG! Where has this been all my life!”
A pinch of grated cheese plus sour cream or yoghurt is my absolute bottom line, preferably with some fresh coriander/cilantro leaves. This is the way I serve it most of the time.
But when I want to go all out, I add a handful of corn chips for dunking/scooping along with a few crushed to sprinkle over the surface really takes it to the next level. When you do this, it totally makes it irresistible. Think – the flavour of crispy taco shells in soup form. Nachos – in soup form.
Crazy irresistible!! – Nagi x
More hearty, filling soups loaded with flavour!
- White Chicken Enchilada Soup and tomato Shredded Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden copy-cat)
- Corn and Potato Chowder
- Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch – or a quick version!
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Ham Bone and Bean Soup
- Browse all Soups
And more One Pot Ground Beef / Mince recipes
- Cheeseburger Casserole (Homemade Hamburger Helper)
- Chili Mac – mash up of Mac and Cheese with Chilli Con Carne, so good!
- Asian Beef and Ramen Noodles – one skillet, 15 minutes
- Beef and Veggies with Rice
- Bolognese Orzo (Risoni)
- Browse all One Pot recipes and Ground Beef / Mince recipes
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Easy Taco Soup recipe video!
Easy Taco Soup
Homemade Taco Seasoning (Note 1)
- 1 tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp EACH dried oregano and paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , finely chopped (brown or yellow)
- 500 g / 1 lb ground beef (mince), lean
- 400 g/ 14 oz can black beans (1 can) , drained and rinsed (Note 2)
- 400g / 14oz can corn kernels (1 can) , drained and rinsed
- 120 g / 4.5 oz canned green chili (Note 3)
- 800 g / 28 oz canned crushed tomato
- 2 cups beef broth
Toppings (Don't skip these!)
- Shredded cheese (essential!)
- Sour cream or yoghurt (essential!)
- Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves or shallots/scallions , finely sliced
- Corn chips
- Other options: diced avocado, squeeze of lime juice
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook until softened (3 min).
- Add beef and turn up the heat to high. Cook, breaking it up as you go, until it all changes from pink to brown.
- Add remaining Soup ingredients and Taco Seasoning. Bring to a simmer then turn heat down to medium.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to bring the flavours together. Adjust thickness with water if desired.
- This is how I like to serve it: place a handful of corn chips in the bowl. Ladle in soup. Top with sour cream, cheese, coriander and a few crushed corn chips. For a healthier option, skip the corn chips in the bowl and/or serve more on the top / side of the soup.
LIFE OF DOZER
When I travel, I send Dozer off on his own holiday to a Golden Retriever boarder. He stays in her house, knows his place in the pecking order (he is way down the bottom), and has an absolute blast. Despite hopeful questioning, I am told there is never any signs of pining for me (see below for evidence).