Garlic Bread Mini Pizzas (Muffin Tin)
These mini pizzas are made using bread! Brushed with garlic butter so this really does taste like a cross between garlic bread and pizza. The filling options are endless - use your favourite pizza toppings.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 12 slices white sandwich bread , fresh (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup red onion , finely diced
- 1/3 cup mushroom , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated cheese , melting (I used a mix of mozzarella and tasty, equal amounts)
- 1/4 cup sliced small pepperoni (Note 3)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Use a large empty can (800g/28oz canned tomato can) to cut out rounds from the bread. (Note 4)
Mould into a muffin tin.
Place butter, garlic and salt in a microwave-proof bowl or mug and microwave in 30 second increments until the butter is melted.
Brush cups with butter, ensuring you use the garlic too.
Divide the pizza sauce between the cups, then top with onion and mushrooms.
Top with cheese then with pepperoni.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bread is golden on the edges.
1. The bread must be fresh so it moulds into the muffin tin easily. If the bread is stale, it will crumble when you mould it in and it won't hold it's shape. If you are using bread that is slightly stale, my suggestion is to brush it generously with extra butter (to moisten the bread first) before moulding it in.
2. To make a quick pizza sauce, mix the following in a small bowl: ½ cup tomato paste, 1½ tbsp water, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar, ½ tsp dried oregano and black pepper. Use as per recipe instructions.
3. I am yet to see pre sliced mini pepperoni here in Australia though I do know they are sold in America. You can find long thin pepperoni at some Woolworths stores (not all), but I typically use "twiggy sticks" which I slice. "Twiggy sticks" are short mini pepperoni pieces that are sold in the deli and refrigerated section of supermarkets. You only need about 75g/2.5oz.
4. A 800g/28oz large can of tomatoes is the perfect size of cutting rounds that fit snugly into muffin tins. I do not even know if you can buy round pastry cutters this size! The other option is to just cut the crust off then mould the square bread into the muffin tin. Rounds just look neater, that's all!
5. To make in advance, bake them until the cheese is melted and the bread is a light golden. Remove, allow to cool and store in the fridge. Reheat on a baking tray at 180C/350F for about 5 - 7 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is re-melted.
6. Nutrition per pizza.
Serving: 41g | Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.4g | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 6.2g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 29mg | Sugar: 1.5g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 0.9mg