Mini Pizzas in GARLIC BREAD cups, made in a muffin tin! Don’t laugh when you see what I use to cut the rounds. It works! That’s what matters!
These mini pizzas were an invention out of necessity. I had friends with kids around and had planned to make mini pizzas. For the kids, that is. (OK that’s a lie. For us grown ups too).
In typical form, I thought I was super duper organised, whirling around the kitchen with the music pumping, preparing the food for lunch. Only to realise at the last minute that I had forgotten to buy frozen pastry for the mini pizzas. I didn’t even have tortillas or any flatbread around to use instead. And I definately didn’t have time to make my own pastry.
But I did have BREAD! And that’s how these mini pizzas came to be a regular in my “party food” repertoire. 🙂 See how easy they are to make?
I told you I cut the rounds out weirdly! It’s just the tin from canned tomatoes – a large tin (28oz/800g), not a small one. I’m not one of those ultra-thrifty-repurpose-everything types. I use the tin to cut the rounds because the size is PERFECT to make deep dish pizzas in muffin tins! I don’t even know if you can buy pastry cutters that size. All the round pastry cutters I have are too small to make rounds for muffin tins.
The extra little step of brushing the bread with garlic butter is so worth it. It makes the crust beautifully golden and really makes it taste like a cross between garlic bread and pizza. I don’t know about you, but when I order pizza, it goes without saying that garlic bread has to be ordered too. Pizza without garlic bread would be like having sausage rolls without sauce. It’s just not the “done thing”. 😉
These work well for making in advance. Bake them a little less so the cheese isn’t too golden brown, let them cool, then you can reheat them on a baking tray – just 5 minutes in the oven does the trick.
Yum! I know this is more of a party food, but I’d happily have these for DINNER too! (Problem is, I’d eat way too many of them…) – Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Garlic Bread Mini Pizzas (Muffin Tin)
- 12 slices white sandwich bread , fresh (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup red onion , finely diced
- 1/3 cup mushroom , finely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated cheese , melting (I used a mix of mozzarella and tasty, equal amounts)
- 1/4 cup sliced small pepperoni (Note 3)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Use a large empty can (800g/28oz canned tomato can) to cut out rounds from the bread. (Note 4)
- Mould into a muffin tin.
- Place butter, garlic and salt in a microwave-proof bowl or mug and microwave in 30 second increments until the butter is melted.
- Brush cups with butter, ensuring you use the garlic too.
- Divide the pizza sauce between the cups, then top with onion and mushrooms.
- Top with cheese then with pepperoni.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bread is golden on the edges.
- Serve warm!
LIFE OF DOZER
Oh dear, Dozer. You can wait and hope. But they will not fall. 🙁
Leave a Comment