Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki
This Greek favourite is so easy to make at home! Loaded with classic Greek flavours of lemon, garlic and dried oregano. Fabulous for an outdoor BBQ!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1.5 lb / 750 g chicken thigh fillets (or breast), cut into 1"/2.5cm pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
To Cook / Serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Flatbreads / wraps / pita bread
- Tomato slices
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers (to make about ½ cup grated cucumber after squeezing out juice)
- 1 1/4 cups / 300 g plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar (or red wine or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
Place chicken and Marinade into a bowl and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
Thread chicken onto 8 skewers.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat (or BBQ). Cook skewers for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
Serve Chicken Souvlaki with tzatziki, flatbreads (make your own!), lettuce and tomato slices.
Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape the watery seeds out. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to meld.
1. To make ahead, pop the chicken in the marinade in ziplock bags and freeze straight away. Then the chicken will marinate as it defrosts. Thread onto skewers and cook per recipe directions.
2. The Chicken Souvlaki is pictured with my Easy Soft Flatbread (No Yeast).
3. For a complete Greek feast, as pictured in the post, serve this with a Greek Salad and Greek Lemon Rice Pilaf!
4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 2 skewers per person (excluding toppings and flatbreads).
Serving: 194g | Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.5g | Protein: 49.7g | Fat: 16.4g | Saturated Fat: 4.1g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 479mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3.1mg