Lemon Rice Pilaf
This lemon rice pilaf is so delicious, you can eat it plain! Loaded with bright zesty flavours from lemon juice and layers of extra flavour from garlic, onion and chicken broth.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 5 -6
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin oil (or butter)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped (white, brown, yellow)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice , long grain (uncooked) (Note 1)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 large lemon (1 tsp zest + 3 - 4 tbsp lemon juice)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill (or sub with parsley, oregano, basil chives, mint)
- Salt and pepper
Heat oil over medium heat in large saucepan or small pot.
Add garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent and sweet.
Add rice and stir until rice turns mostly translucent.
Add broth and water. Place lid on, bring to simmer then turn heat down to low.
Cook for 12 minutes or until water is evaporated.
Remove from from stove and rest for 10 minutes (keep the lid on).
Remove lid. stir through lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
Lovey served warm or at room temperature.
1. Long grain is the best for this but it will also work with medium and short grain rice. It will also work with basmati and jasmine rice. Do not use risotto or paella rice. With brown rice, top up water and cook for longer per packet directions.
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 6 servings (3/4 cup packed per serving).
Serving: 153g | Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.2g | Protein: 4.8g | Fat: 4.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 0.6g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 5.8mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3.1mg