This is an authentic recipe for Pico de Gallo from "Truly Mexican
", a fabulous cookbook filled with authentic Mexican recipes. Use this recipe as a base and adjust to your taste - more or less spiciness, and even add olive oil if you want! This makes enough for 8 tacos (as a topping).
1. This can be substituted with brown or red onion, eschallots/French shallots, or the white part of shallots / scallions.
2. Use this recipe as a base and adjust to your taste, especially the lime juice, chilli/jalapeno and salt. Sometimes I add pepper and olive oil, especially if I serve this as a side salad which I often do.
3. What to use Pico de Gallo for (Mexican dishes):
- Topping/filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, taquitos, quesadillas, fajitas, nachos
- As a side salad for any Mexican, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern dish
- Top fried eggs or stuff in a folded omelette to make a Mexican breakfast!
- For corn chips as an appetiser