Learn how to make Pico de Gallo! This is an authentic Mexican salsa recipe made with tomatoes is incredibly easy. Use it for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, nachos, as a dip for chips or as a side for basically any Mexican dish! This can be made ahead by 1 day.
This is a traditional Pico de Gallo recipe from a Mexican cookbook called “Truly Mexican”
Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is an essential side for Mexican food. It’s stuffed in things, piled on things, served as a side. It’s by far the most well known Mexican salsa. And it’s definitely no co-incidence that the red tomato, white onion and green cilantro/coriander represent the colours of the Mexican flag!
This is a classic authentic recipe for Pico de Gallo from a fabulous cookbook I got in Mexico called Truly Mexican. This cookbook, as the name suggests, is all about real Mexican food and there is an entire chapter devoted to salsas. And Pico de Gallo is the first salsa in it!
Use Pico de Gallo for all things Mexican
You’ll find Pico de Gallo appears on the side of virtually every dish in Mexico, not just with tacos. It’s served as a side dish, as a fresh side – almost like a sauce because it’s juicy – and spooned over things like Enchiladas as toppings.
Here’s a list of popular Mexican dishes to serve Pico de Gallo with:
TACOS & Fajitas
- Beef tacos – old school ground Beef Tacos or slow cooked Mexican Shredded Beef
- Chicken tacos – Quick Chicken Tacos with Sauce, Mexican Shredded Chicken and Marinated Grilled Chicken for tacos
- Mexican Pulled Pork – Pork Carnitas, big reader fave!
- Fajitas – Chicken and Beef
- Fish – Grilled Fish Tacos – marinated and grilled (also try this same recipe with prawns/shrimp)
- As a dip for Chips alongside traditional Guacamole, Avocado Hummus or Avocado Dip
- Enchiladas – use as toping for Beef or Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Fiesta – wouldn’t be complete without Pico de Gallo! Mexican Fiesta – a fiesta menu, starters, mains, sides and dessert
- Nachos – or for something different, try this Nachos Pie!
- Browse all Mexican recipes
Pico de Gallo (Authentic)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/3 cup cilantro/coriander leaves , roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño or serrano chilli (adjust to taste)
- 1 - 2 tbsp lime juice (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (table salt) or 3/4 tsp kosher / sea salt flakes
- Cut the tomatoes in half and use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and watery centre. Cut into 1cm / 1/3" dice.
- Combine with remaining ingredients. Set aside for 5 to 20 minutes. Serve as a topping or side for things like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas and any Mexican dish!
- This can be made ahead up to 1 day. Leave out the lime juice and salt (otherwise the tomato juices will leech out), cover and refrigerate. Drain excess liquid, add lime juice and salt just before serving.
- Topping/filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, taquitos, quesadillas, fajitas, nachos
- As a side salad for any Mexican, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern dish
- Top fried eggs or stuff in a folded omelette to make a Mexican breakfast!
- For corn chips as an appetiser
Nutrition for the whole recipe.