Seasoned Baked Potato Wedges
Recipe video above. Crunchy wedges seasoned so they taste like the wedges you can get from the freezer section at the supermarket! I found that the trick to make crunchy wedges is to use the right amount of oil. Too much results in soggy wedges and the seasoning comes off!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 lb / 1 kg potatoes , peeled (4 large ones) (Note 1)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (or sub with more garlic powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
To serve (optional - but highly recommended for optimal experience!)
- Sour cream and
- Sweet chili sauce
- Other options: Ketchup, tomato sauce, aioli, mayo, yogurt, BBQ sauce, relish
- Avocado Dipping Sauce
Preheat oven to 220°C/430°F (200°C/390°F fan/convection)
Mix the Seasoning ingredients.
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 "wedges" (so you get 8 pieces from each potato). If your potato is small/medium, just cut into 6 wedges.
Place potatoes in a large bowl, drizzle over oil and seasoning. Toss with hands.
Spread out on tray, ensuring cut side lies flat on the tray.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, turning once, or until dark golden brown and crispy.
Dipping sauces: Classic Aussie way is with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Otherwise, try tomato sauce/ketchup, BBQ sauce, yogurt, ranch, aoli.
1. Potatoes - I've found over the years that you can make great crunchy wedges with starchy OR all rounder, medium starch potatoes. The only ones that don't work are really waxy potatoes, so just avoid them!
2. Freezing! I found these freeze quite well! I let them cool, then froze them. Then I defrosted them, sprayed with oil and baked them at 200C/390F for around 12 minutes, just to heat through and crisp up again.
3. Nutrition assuming 4 servings, excluding sour cream and sweet chili.
- Australia - the common dirt brushed potatoes are the best. These are a great all rounder. DO NOT use desiree (the red ones) - these are waxy, suitable for potato salad.
- US - Russet, Idaho and Yukon Gold are great!
- UK - Maris Piper is a good all rounder which is suitable and readily available in all the supermarkets.
Serving: 242g | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 10.8g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Sodium: 886mg | Potassium: 956mg | Fiber: 5.9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 62.7mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.4mg