Warm Red Cabbage Salad with Garlic Herb Butter
This salad will add a splash of colour to any table! It takes minutes to make and takes the humble cabbage to a whole new level. The tiny splash of balsamic vinegar really makes an incredible difference. A great tip I picked up from Jamie Oliver!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 as a side
- 1/2 bunch English spinach leaves , sliced into 1cm / 1/2 inch strips
- 1/4 red cabbage , cut into 2.5 x 5cm / 1 x 2" rectangles (Note 1)
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove (large), minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs , your choice (I used thyme, rosemary and parsley)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp pistachios , roughly chopped
Place the butter and garlic in a fry pan over medium high heat.
Once melted, leave to sizzle for 15 seconds to allow the garlic to infuse the butter. Then add the salt and herbs, and swirl the pan to spread throughout the butter.
Add the cabbage and cook, tossing in the butter to coat the leaves.
Once the cabbage just starts to wilt, remove from the heat. Add the spinach and balsamic vinegar. Toss so the residual heat wilts the spinach slightly and the balsamic vinegar tosses through.
Transfer onto a serving plate and scatter over pistachios. Serve immediately.
1. Around 4 to 5 cups (loosely packed).
2. Nutrition per serving as a side.
Serving: 134g | Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.7g | Protein: 3.5g | Fat: 10.1g | Saturated Fat: 4.9g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 679mg | Potassium: 436mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 2.9g | Vitamin A: 4350IU | Vitamin C: 52.8mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1.8mg