Purple cabbage adds a splash of colour to any table. This warm salad is tossed in a garlic and herb butter with a touch of balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with nuts. It takes minutes to make and is so good that you could eat just this salad for dinner!
*** This recipe is part of a Christmas Special where I show you how to make 3 mains and 4 side dishes that take 1.5 hrs to prepare and can be largely made ahead. So this Christmas, you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family! 🙂 ***
This mightn’t be the sexiest sounding salad around but it sure packs a punch in the flavour department and takes the humble cabbage to a whole new level! I love this because it’s so quick to make and the bright purple cabbage leaves adds a splash of colour to any table.
I added a sprinkle of pistachios for some extra crunch but you can use whatever you have on hand. I can’t think of a single nut that won’t suit. So sprinkle away and get creative!
I’ve included this as part of my Christmas Special because I love the colours and I have a theory that herb & garlic butter with anything is a crowd pleaser generally. Plus I think it’s always nice to have one leafy salad as part of any spread.
It’s great to make ahead too – just chop up the veggies, mix up the garlic herb butter then keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. It only takes a few minutes to melt the butter and sauté the cabbage until it starts to wilt. Then toss the spinach in, add a splash of vinegar and sprinkle the nuts.
I have a theory that garlic butter can transform anything from mediocre to “I want more!!” …. – Nagi
Easy, Stress Free Seven Course Christmas Menu (1.5 hr prep)
You can read about this menu here, including a step by step of the order in which I prepared, baked, reheated and plated up each dish. I made all these dishes (with the exception of the cabbage salad) for a Christmas Party with my friends and these are photos of the actual dishes that I took to the party. I’m sharing this in the hope that it might inspire your Christmas menu!
- Easy Maple Sticky Glazed Ham (15 min prep, 1 – 1 1/2 hrs inactive baking, can be made ahead)
- Juicy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast (5 min prep, then set and forget, reheats well but best slow cooked overnight on the night before serving)
- Festive Duck with Apple Cider Drizzle (5 min prep, 1 1/2 hr inactive baking, reheats very well)
- Pork Apple Stuffing in Pancetta Cups (20 min prep and worth every second. Reheats extremely well)
- Julia Child’s Potato Dauphinoise Gratin (15 min prep, 45 min baking, reheats very well)
- Red, Green and White Christmas Salad (10 minutes prep)
- This Warm Red Cabbage and Spinach with Garlic Herb Butter (10 minutes prep)
- 1/2 bunch English spinach leaves , sliced into 1cm / 1/2 inch strips
- 1/4 red cabbage , cut into 2.5 x 5cm / 1 x 2" rectangles (Note 1)
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove (large), minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs , your choice (I used thyme, rosemary and parsley)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp pistachios , roughly chopped
Place the butter and garlic in a fry pan over medium high heat.
Once melted, leave to sizzle for 15 seconds to allow the garlic to infuse the butter. Then add the salt and herbs, and swirl the pan to spread throughout the butter.
Add the cabbage and cook, tossing in the butter to coat the leaves.
Once the cabbage just starts to wilt, remove from the heat. Add the spinach and balsamic vinegar. Toss so the residual heat wilts the spinach slightly and the balsamic vinegar tosses through.
Transfer onto a serving plate and scatter over pistachios. Serve immediately.
1. Around 4 to 5 cups (loosely packed).
2. Nutrition per serving as a side.