Mexican Lasagna Enchilada Stack
An enchilada - layered like a lasagna! Made with Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) but you can substitute with any shredded or diced (cooked) chicken, beef or pork. This recipe makes 4 generous servings or 6 small servings.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 - 6
- 5 - 6 tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) (see notes)
- 1 can (400g/15oz) corn
- 1 can (400g/15oz) black beans or red kidney beans
- 1 small red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 1/4 cups enchilada sauce , separated (preferably homemade - here's my Easy Classic Enchilada Sauce)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any other melting cheese)
- Fresh parsley or coriander , finely chopped (optional - for garnish)
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Combine the Pork Carnitas, corn, black beans, capsicum and 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce in a bowl. Mix to combine.
Spread 1 tbsp of enchilada sauce on the base of a baking dish.
Line the baking dish with tortillas. I find the best way to do this is to cut the tortillas in half, place 2 on the baking dish (with the straight cut side lined to the edge of the baking dish), then cut 1 tortilla into 6 to 8 pieces and use those wedges to fill the gaps.
Spread half the filling across the tortillas.
Top with another layer of tortillas, then spread the remaining filling on top.
Top with a third and final layer of tortillas. Spread remaining enchilada sauce (3/4 cup) across the top, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and started to turn golden.
Let stand for 5 minutes, then garnish with parsley or coriander if desired and serve.
1. You can substitute the Pork Carnitas with any shredded or diced (cooked) chicken, beef or pork. If the meat is not flavoured, I recommend sprinkling some spices on the meat before mixing with the other ingredients: 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, pinch of chilli powder (optional), salt and pepper.
2. Nutrition per serving.
Serving: 379g | Calories: 524kcal | Carbohydrates: 70.5g | Protein: 39.2g | Fat: 12.9g | Saturated Fat: 5.6g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 659mg | Fiber: 15.2g | Sugar: 8.4g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 50.3mg | Calcium: 360mg | Iron: 11.9mg