A great throw together lasagne that’s freezer friendly!
This recipe is part of a series where I show you How to Make 5 AWESOME Mexican Freezer Friendly meals (for 4 people) in 1 hour for $50 using one batch of Pork Carnitas.
Great things happen when you do a mash up of two of my favourite cuisines! Basically it’s an enchilada layered up like a lasagna, then baked until bubbly and golden. Because it’s made with leftover Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) which is already seasoned, all that’s required is to mix it up with enchilada sauce, capsicum, corn and beans, then just layer it with tortillas. I’ve also included directions to make this with chicken or beef. You just need to add some flavourings (because the Pork Carnitas are cooked with seasonings).
This Mexican Lasagna is great for freezing. It’s better to freeze it before baking, then defrost completely to bake. But it also freezes quite well after baking so it’s a great way to keep leftovers.
This recipe is part of series where I show you How to Make 5 Mexican Freezer Friendly meals in 1 hour for $50 using one batch of Pork Carnitas. Each meal serves 4 so if you’re cooking for 2, then you’ll be able to make 10 meals!! And it’s a super cost effective menu because there’s a lot of common ingredients, plus a little bit of Pork Carnitas goes a long way.
Because this recipe is part of a series, I used Homemade Enchilada Sauce which I also used for other recipes. You can use store bought, but I really do encourage you to consider making your own because it only takes 10 minutes, it’s cheaper and tastes so great! It will last in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Hope you enjoy! Just leave me a comment if you have any questions, or drop me an email!
Mexican Lasagna Enchilada Stack
- 5 - 6 tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) (see notes)
- 1 can (400g/15oz) corn
- 1 can (400g/15oz) black beans or red kidney beans
- 1 small red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 1/4 cups enchilada sauce , separated (preferably homemade - here's my Easy Classic Enchilada Sauce)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any other melting cheese)
- Fresh parsley or coriander , finely chopped (optional - for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine the Pork Carnitas, corn, black beans, capsicum and 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Spread 1 tbsp of enchilada sauce on the base of a baking dish.
- Line the baking dish with tortillas. I find the best way to do this is to cut the tortillas in half, place 2 on the baking dish (with the straight cut side lined to the edge of the baking dish), then cut 1 tortilla into 6 to 8 pieces and use those wedges to fill the gaps.
- Spread half the filling across the tortillas.
- Top with another layer of tortillas, then spread the remaining filling on top.
- Top with a third and final layer of tortillas. Spread remaining enchilada sauce (3/4 cup) across the top, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and started to turn golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then garnish with parsley or coriander if desired and serve.