Mexican Pork Rolls
Soft white rolls piled high with shredded pork mixed with enchilada sauce, topped with gooey melted cheese and caramelized onions.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce (preferably homemade - here is my Easy Classic Enchilada Sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 brown onions , halved and finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any other good melting cheese)
- 4 soft white bread rolls
- Fresh parsley , finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
Melt butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 7 minutes, stirring every now and then so they cook evenly. Add remaining Caramelized Onion ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until sticky and caramelised. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
Brown Pork Carnitas: Wipe pan clean and return to stove. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil over high heat. Add Pork Carnitas and press down lightly with a spatula to help crisp up. When the Pork Carnitas are heated through and the underside is golden brown and crisp (about 1 to 1/2 minutes), remove from pan (do not flip).
Place Pork Carnitas and Enchilada Sauce and mix to combine.
Preheat grill (broiler) on high.
Split rolls in half. Divide the Filling between them and pile onto the bottom half of the roll. Top with cheese then grill (broil) for 3 minutes until melted.
Remove from the grill, top with caramelised onion and sprinkle with parsley (if using).
Sandwich with the other half of the bread roll and serve immediately.
1. Caramelized onions can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.
2. FREEZER FRIENDLY: Combine the Pork Carnitas and Enchilada sauce in a ziplock bag, and place the caramelised onion in a separate ziplock bag. Freeze until required. Defrost completely before using and warm in microwave.
3. The reason I only cook one side of the Pork Carnitas is to keep the pulled pork as juicy as possible while still adding the crunch from the browning on one side.
4. Nutrition per serving.
Serving: 212g | Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.1g | Protein: 21.2g | Fat: 15.8g | Saturated Fat: 7.6g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 551mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 4.9g | Sugar: 9.5g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 13.2mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 4.5mg