Freezer friendly pulled pork with enchilada sauce topped with melted cheese and caramelised onions. Heaven piled high on pillowy soft buns! This Mexican Pork Rolls recipe is part of a series where I show you How to Make 5 Mexican Freezer Friendly meals (for 4 people) in 1 hour for $50 using one batch of Pork Carnitas (coming soon…!).
These Mexican Pulled Pork Rolls are:
Great for feeding a crowd. One batch of Pork Carnitas (Mexican pulled pork) will make 25 to 30 of these! (Though this recipe is only to make 4);
Freezer friendly, so are great to make ahead;
Easy on the budget;
Easy to make; and
Jazzed up with a gourmet spin with caramelised onions, a great frugal way for making things “gourmet”!
I would die a happy girl if I was buried under a mound of these. I think my eyes actually rolled back into my head (with pleasure!) when I took my first bite.
These sliders are made with soft white rolls and are piled high with Pork Carnitas (Mexican pulled pork) that is mixed with Enchilada Sauce then topped with gooey melting cheese and caramelised onions. I swear to you, the caramelised onions are THE crowning glory of this slider. It adds another dimension to this to take it from great to outta this world! So the 12 minutes it takes to caramelise the onions is well worth it.
(PS Just to satisfy any “purists” reading this, proper caramelised onions will take 40 to 50 minutes+ to make on a super low heat. This is a speedier version which to me is ridiculously delicious for the time it takes to make so I choose not to spend the extra 45 minutes to make it the “proper” way!).
Because this recipe is part of a series, I used Homemade Enchilada Sauce which I also used for other recipes in this series. You can use store bought, but I really do encourage you to consider making your own because it only takes 10 minutes and is so easy that you can make it at the same time you are caramelising onions.
Oh, let me tell you about this series! It’s a post where I show you How to Make 5 Mexican Freezer Friendly meals (for 4 people) in 1 hour for $50 using one batch of Pork Carnitas. Each meal serves 4 so if you’re cooking for 2, then you’ll be able to make 10 meals!! And it’s a super cost effective menu because there’s a lot of common ingredients, plus a little bit of Pork Carnitas goes a long way. Hope you find it useful!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Mexican Pork Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce (preferably homemade - here is my Easy Classic Enchilada Sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 brown onions , halved and finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any other good melting cheese)
- 4 soft white bread rolls
- Fresh parsley , finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a fry pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 7 minutes, stirring every now and then so they cook evenly. Add remaining Caramelized Onion ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until sticky and caramelised. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Brown Pork Carnitas: Wipe pan clean and return to stove. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil over high heat. Add Pork Carnitas and press down lightly with a spatula to help crisp up. When the Pork Carnitas are heated through and the underside is golden brown and crisp (about 1 to 1/2 minutes), remove from pan (do not flip).
- Place Pork Carnitas and Enchilada Sauce and mix to combine.
- Preheat grill (broiler) on high.
- Split rolls in half. Divide the Filling between them and pile onto the bottom half of the roll. Top with cheese then grill (broil) for 3 minutes until melted.
- Remove from the grill, top with caramelised onion and sprinkle with parsley (if using).
- Sandwich with the other half of the bread roll and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment