One Pot Chicken, Vegetable & Parmesan Orzo (Risoni)
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 - 5 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 250g / 8oz chicken thigh or breast , cut into bite size pieces
- 2 1/2 cups frozen diced vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, capsicum/peppers, anything!)
- 1 1/2 cups orzo / risoni (Note 1)
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/4 cups (565 ml) milk , any fat %
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken or vegetable stock / broth (low sodium)
- 3 cups baby spinach (packed)
- 3/4 cup (75g) parmesan (grated)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- More parmesan
- Parsley or chives, if desired
Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Make sure the pan is reasonably deep - around 5cm / 2.5" or more. Otherwise, use a large pot.
Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper then cook for 2 minutes until cooked on the outside (raw inside).
Add frozen vegetables (still frozen ok) and flour, stir until flour is incorporated.
Add risoni/orzo, stock and milk, then stir well.
Bring to simmer then adjust heat so it's bubbling gently (see video). Cook for 7 minutes (no lid), stirring every now and then, until risoni is almost tender (still quite soupy at this stage).
Add parmesan and spinach, stir through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Consistency should be like a loose risotto (it absorbs liquid and thickens quite quickly when serving), nice and creamy.
Serve, garnished with parsley and more parmesan if desired!
** Loads of substitutions and customisation options, see in post **
1. Risoni/orzo is a rice shaped pasta. Brilliant for quick meals because it cooks in about 8 minutes! 7 minutes on the stove, then while it's being finished off.
2. Frozen veg - Feel free to switch the frozen veg with fresh. I used frozen for convenience because this is a handy super quick meal.
3. Leftovers will keep for a few days – but note that leftover pasta is never quite as saucy. Or try making Muffin Tin Spaghetti Nests with the leftovers which kids absolutely adore!
4. Nutrition per serving, assuming 4 very big servings!
Serving: 558g | Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 64.5g | Protein: 36.9g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5.2g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 858mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 5.3g | Sugar: 14.7g | Vitamin A: 7300IU | Vitamin C: 94.1mg | Calcium: 380mg | Iron: 3.8mg