- any mushrooms are fine here. I used standard white button mushrooms in the photos, and brown button mushrooms in the video (Swiss Brown / Cremini). Can use MORE mushrooms if planning to stuff into something like baked potatoes.
- any dry white is fine here, avoid woody / oaky ones (eg Chardonnay) and sweet ones. I like Sauvignon Blanc and related varieties, Pinot Gris, and rose wines are terrific too (which is what I used in the video).
Use extra 1/4 cup broth and do not skip the parmesan! Essential for flavour :)
- If you can't find thickened or heavy cream, just use a high fat % cream (30%+, check carton). See below for how to use light cream.
- important to grate your own using a fine grater to ensure it melts into the sauce. Do not use store bought shredded or sandy parmesan, it doesn't melt into the sauce properly - the parmesan helps thicken the sauce as well as adding terrific flavour, doesn't taste cheesy just adds savouriness.
5. Uses -
Use as sauce for proteins, pasta, baked potatoes, steamed vegetables. See in post for full list of ideas, including links to recipes where relevant.
6. LIGHTEN IT UP
by using low fat thickened
cream (eg Bulla, sold in Australia). If using normal
low fat cream (ie not thickened cream), adjust recipe
as follows: Mix 1 tsp of cornflour/cornstarch with a splash of low fat cream. Once dissolved, mix in remaining cream. The cornstarch will act as a thickener to compensate for using light cream. Nutrition will reduce by 100 calories per serving.
7. Serving size:
Makes enough to spoon over 4 medium steaks or other pieces of protein. Or 250g / 1/2lb uncooked long strand pasta, or about 300g/10oz of uncooked short pasta (ziti, penne, orchiette). Will stuff 2 large sweet potatoes generously.
per serving, assuming 4 servings.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31g
Saturated Fat 18g
Total Carbohydrates 5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.