You’ll want to put this creamy Mushroom Sauce on everything! From steak to chicken, porks chops to roasts, smothered omelettes and baked potatoes, you’re only limited by your imagination. It’s a luxurious yet simple sauce you’ll make again and again and again….
A MUSHROOM SAUCE FOR EVERYTHING!
An omelette smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce. A mushroom sauce for steak. A baked sweet potato stuffed to the brim with mushrooms in a creamy sauce.
I had all 3 of these on The List and no idea how I was going to share them all without a complete and utter creamy mushroom overload.
Solution: Just share the sauce and a bunch of ways to use it!
Jeez. Only took me 5 months to figure that out!!!🙄
SIMPLE YET LUXURIOUS
It’s simple to make but doesn’t call for any gourmet ingredients. You absolutely could just sauté up some mushrooms in a load of butter and stir through a gallon of cream.
But if you want one that stacks up to the great sauces of the world served at fine dining establishments, add wine and parmesan. These are the two ingredients that add an extra something-something to this sauce. Depth of flavour and savouriness (that’s umami, if you want to get technical 🙂 ).
Don’t worry if you can’t consume alcohol, just use more chicken or veg broth and be sure not to skip the parmesan!
Oh the possibilities!
Sauces like this are terrific because they are so incredibly versatile. So here are a few ideas for how to use this Mushroom Sauce…. just a few…..
- Mushroom Sauce for steak or other seared proteins – beef, pork chops, chicken, turkey. Just sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook to your taste, then smother in this sauce;
- Baked potatoes – scrub ’em, bake ’em, slit ’em then stuff ’em;
- Roasts – use as a sauce for roast chicken, turkey, beef or pork. Spectacular!
- Schnitzel with Mushroom Sauce (oh my…..)
- Smothered omelettes;
- Add pasta and toss, toss, toss! (250g/8oz long strong pasta or 300g/10oz short pasta like ziti, penne, orecchiette)
- Meatballs! Use it for these baked Italian meatballs, chicken meatballs, or these Swedish Meatballs. (Makes enough sauce for one batch of meatballs);
- Steamed vegetables – imagine steamed beans or asparagus with this Mushroom Sauce over it…
- Outta-This-World-Mashed-Potatoes: It’s like mash and gravy…. but a million times better!
To be honest though, you could hand me a hunk of crusty bread and I’d be one happy girl. Imagine dunking hot crusty bread in this!!!! – Nagi x
PS Also added a lightened up version in the recipe notes. Just in case it’s more to your taste. ❤️
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g / 10 oz mushrooms , sliced (Note 1)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) white wine or rose , dry (Note 2 subs)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy / thickened cream (Note 3)
- 1/2 cup parmesan ,finely grated (30g / 1 oz) (Note 4)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried)
- Heat oil and melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and leisurely cook until golden brown - takes about 4 to 5 minutes. No need to stir constantly.
- Just before they're done, add the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until garlic is golden (~ 1 minute).
- Add white wine - it will sizzle! Stir, scraping the bottom of the skillet, for 1 minute or until mostly evaporated.
- Add broth, cream and parmesan. Stir, then lower heat to medium so the sauce is simmering - do not boil rapidly, cream may split.
- Stir occasionally and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until it thickens. It shouldn't be super thick, this is a rich sauce.
- Stir through thyme, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Remove from stove.
- Serve over steak or other cooked protein. Toss through pasta, stuff into baked potatoes, serve with roast beef, chicken or pork, smothered omelettes. See in post for more ideas!
🍄MUSHROOM LOVE 🍄
- Mushroom Pasta – and a creamy Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Mushroom Rice and BAKED Mushroom Rice
- The most incredible Mushroom Risotto
- Beef Stroganoff and Chicken Stroganoff
- Salisbury Steak or Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Browse all Mushroom Recipes
LIFE OF DOZER
If you eat in my house, this is what will be in front of you. Still as a statue (except for the odd flicker of a pink tongue). Unblinking. Silently willing you to break.
Very, very effective strategy.