KFC Potato and Gravy
Recipe video above. KFC Potato and Gravy is known for the soft, fluffy yet creamy mashed potato doused with their signature gravy, perfect for dunking in crusty Fried Chicken and fries. Now make it at home! (Except with real ingredients - no potato flakes here!)
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 8 - 10 people
- 1 batch homemade KFC Gravy
- 1.5kg/ 3lb Sebago (Aus dirt brushed), Russet (US), Maris Piper (UK) or other starchy potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt (for water)
- 75g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream (heavy / thickened)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk, full fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Peel and cut potatoes into 3cm / 1.25" cubes.
Place in a pot, add 1 tbsp salt and water so it's 5cm / 2" above potatoes.
Bring water to a boil, then boil for 15 minutes until potatoes are very soft and starting to fall apart.
Drain, leave in colander to steam dry for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add cream and milk, heat until just before simmer - do not let it boil. Remove from stove.
Pass potato through a potato ricer (Note 1) or use a masher with holes. Do not use beater - will make it dense.
Add hot milk mixture, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. GENTLY stir until mixed through.
Taste for salt and pepper, add more if needed.
Transfer into serving bowl. Pour over Gravy and serve immediately with anything and everything!
For a KFC at home experience, serve with homemade Fried Chicken (it's better than KFC!)
1. Potato ricer - to achieve a really soft, near lump-free creamy texture, you need a potato ricer. A masher won't be quite as soft, but if you use one with holes in it, it's the nearest you'll get.
Do not use a beater - it might make it more lump free but it will be dense and thick, rather than soft and creamy like KFC potato.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 383mg | Potassium: 752mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 503IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg