KFC Potato and Gravy is known for the soft, creamy mashed potato doused with their signature gravy, perfect for dunking in crusty Fried Chicken and fries. Now here’s a recipe to make it at home! (Except with real ingredients – no potato flakes here!)
Serve with everything.
KFC Potato and Gravy
This recipe is here by reader demand!
And this is the photo that started it all – Fried Chicken being dunked in a bowl of what I call my copycat KFC Potato and Gravy. Readers spied it in the recipe video and saw photos in the post. I casually offered it up – “let me know if you want the recipe!” – and the people have spoken. The recipe is here!
The gravy tastes just like KFC and takes 4 minutes flat to make! Here is the recipe.
The mashed potato is softly creamy, as opposed to dense-creamy. Soft enough so you can swipe and fistful of chips through it!
Though I suspect KFC Mashed Potato is made with reconstituted potato flakes, I prefer mine be made with real potatoes.😇
What you need for KFC Potato and Gravy
I’ve shared the Gravy recipe separately because actually, it’s my everyday gravy made from scratch (ie no pan drippings from roasts) with just hot water for the liquid. It is very, very good and I use it for “everything”! So I wanted to file it separately.
And here’s what you need for the KFC Mashed Potato.
How to make KFC Mashed Potato
The unique thing about KFC Mashed Potato is how it’s creamy but soft. Soft enough to dunk chips and fluffy white rolls!
Here’s the method I use to achieve that beautiful soft texture – using real potatoes, no potato flakes!
Potato Ricer = soft, fluffy, creamy texture
The only way to truly achieve the signature soft, fluffy creamy texture with minimal lumps is to use a potato ricer (pictured in step 3 below).
A stand mixer or hand held beater will activate the starch in potatoes and make it more dense and heavy so I don’t recommend that.
If you don’t have a potato ricer, the next best alternative is a potato masher with holes in the mashing end (because it yields a similar effect to the potato ricer).
What to serve with KFC Potato and Gravy
How long is a piece of string? 😂😂😂
OK, just a few ideas – here we go!
KFC style! Dunk in Fried Chicken, warm bread rolls, hot chips, wedges
Any roast – roast chicken, pork roast with incredible crackling, marinated roast beef or a Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast, or the most incredible slow cooked Lamb Leg….
Barbecue Pork Ribs – imagine meat falling off the bone and a sticky barbecue sauce!
Midweek meals – try it on the side of Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs, juicy Baked Chicken Breast, Marinated Pork Chops, Lamb Chops, the Meatloaf of your dreams or the best Rissoles of your life!
And if all that choice is just too overwhelming for you, just grab a spoon and dig straight in. SO GOOD! – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
KFC Potato and Gravy
- 1 batch homemade KFC Gravy
- 1.5kg/ 3lb Sebago (Aus dirt brushed), Russet (US), Maris Piper (UK) or other starchy potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt (for water)
- 75g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream (heavy / thickened)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk, full fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cut potatoes into 3cm / 1.25" cubes.
- Place in a pot, add 1 tbsp salt and water so it's 5cm / 2" above potatoes.
- Bring water to a boil, then boil for 15 minutes until potatoes are very soft and starting to fall apart.
- Drain, leave in colander to steam dry for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add cream and milk, heat until just before simmer - do not let it boil. Remove from stove.
- Pass potato through a potato ricer (Note 1) or use a masher with holes. Do not use beater - will make it dense.
- Add hot milk mixture, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. GENTLY stir until mixed through.
- Taste for salt and pepper, add more if needed.
- Transfer into serving bowl. Pour over Gravy and serve immediately with anything and everything!
- For a KFC at home experience, serve with homemade Fried Chicken (it's better than KFC!)
Life of Dozer
Torrential rains in Sydney -> at my mother’s house without Dozer’s raincoat -> Dozer needs to pee -> makeshift raincoat using my mother’s poncho and…errr….. ribbon from a present?? 😂
Leave a Comment