No false promises here! This easy way for making Oven Baked Buffalo Wings that come out truly crispy is a game changer. The skin is so paper thin and shatteringly crisp that it’s hard to believe they aren’t deep fried. All the flavour, all the crispness, 10 minutes effort, and none of the mess! And you can hear how crispy they are in this cooking video!
How many times have you been disappointed by recipes that promise crispy oven baked chicken wings? Some come out quite crispy, but still not so crispy that you would think they had been deep fried.
But this recipe for Truly Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Wings is a game changer. I promise I am not exaggerating. In fact, you can read for yourself what people are saying about it because last year, I shared Truly Crispy Oven Baked Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce. Scroll to the bottom of that recipe and you’ll see hundreds of comments from people who have tried and been amazed by this recipe!
The recipe is ridiculously simple, and it’s a genius discovery by the amazing folk over at Cook’s Illustrated who used science to figure out how to make truly crispy wings in the oven. The 2 unique steps in this recipe that make all the difference are:
1. tossing the wings in baking powder which draws moisture to the surface of the skin and helps make it crispy. Rest assured you can’t taste the baking powder at all; and
2. baking the wings at a low temperature first, which melts the fat under the skin (which also means less calories!), then cranking it right up to crisp up the skin.
Have a look at how crispy these Oven Baked Buffalo Wings are! When you bite into it, the skin just shatters, it’s that crispy!
And now you can see exactly how I make these Truly Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Wings (and hear how crispy these are!) in my cooking video! (Note: This is the video for my Baked Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce but the steps for making the crispy wings is exactly the same!)
I had so many people emailing me asking me for a Buffalo Wings version that I decided I had better post it. So this is the recipe for Oven Baked Buffalo Wings made using the Cook’s Illustrated technique for making truly crispy chicken wings in the oven.
The combination of crispy wings tossed in a hot, buttery sauce served with a side of blue cheese dip and celery is genius. I remember the first time I tried it, I squinted at the celery sticks and thought “who would bother with them”. But they do! It’s like the perfect way to reboot your taste buds in between each wing!!
And now for the surprise cookbook announcement! After I shared Truly Crispy Oven Baked Wings with Honey Garlic Sauce, I had so many readers asking for variations using this technique for making other types of crispy wings that I decided to create an entire cookbook for my favourite oven baked wings recipes!
So….drumroll please….introducing my “Baked Wings” cookbook containing 33 of my favourite baked chicken wings plus 7 bonus dipping sauces!
This cookbook doesn’t just contain crispy wings. I’ve also included sticky wings and crunchy breaded wings too, as well as a couple of outrageous creations…. Anyone for Bacon Wrapped Wings? 😉
It’s jam packed with 33 of my favorite chicken wing recipes, plus 7 bonus dipping sauces. And all but 3 are exclusive to the cookbook!
I don’t want to think about how many pounds/kg of wings I’ve made in the last few months as I tested and retested every recipe. Actually, I just did the maths. I think I made about 160 lb / 80 kg of wings in my little kitchen in around 4 months.
You’d think I’d be sick of wings but if anything, it made me love them even more!!! And my friends certainly weren’t complaining. I’ve been fanning them out left, right and centre.
It’s Friday night and I have friends coming round. So I’m signing off. I have chicken wings to make!
Happy weekend! – Nagi x
Save these Truly Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Wings recipe to your PARTY FOOD Pinterest Board!
- 4 lb / 2 kg chicken wings
- 2 tbsp baking powder (NOT baking soda / bi-carb soda)
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, softened (I use gorgonzola)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 - 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Celery sticks
- Lots of beer
- Lay the wings on a rack on a rimmed baking tray and let them dry in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, pat them dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 250F / 120C. Put one oven shelf in the lower quarter of the oven and one in the top quarter.
- Place the wings in a large ziplock bag. Add the baking powder and salt. Shake the bag to coat the wings evenly.
- Line the tray with foil. Spray the rack on the baking tray with oil. Place the wings skin side up on the rack. Bake on the lower shelf in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Then move the tray up to the higher shelf and turn the oven up to 425F / 220C. Bake for a further 40 to 50 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through. The wings do not need to be turned over. The wings are ready when they are dark golden brown and the skin is very crispy.
- Toss with Hot Sauce and serve immediately with Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks. They can be served plain, with a dipping sauce or tossed in sauce.
- Whisk together the Sauce ingredients. Keep warm or reheat just prior to using.
- Mash the blue cheese with sour cream until smooth (or to your taste).
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well until combined, using milk to get it to the consistency you want.
- Store in the fridge until required. Remove from the fridge 15 minutes before serving.
2. You will notice once the wings come out of the oven that they are smaller than usual. This is because the fat under the skin melts off (renders out) while baking in the low oven.
3. The wings will not bake to a dark golden brown unless you leave them in for 1 hr+. They bake to a golden brown. You will know they are done because the skin will be lovely and crispy.
4. The recipe for the wings is from Cook's Illustrated "Meats Book" cookbook. The sauce recipe is my own.
5. To reheat: Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate. The skin will wrinkle and soften. Preheat oven to 200C/390F. Spread wings out on tray, skin side up, and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until the skin puffs up so the wrinkles smooth out and becomes crisp again.
Nutrition for just Oven Baked Buffalo Wings (left) and including the hot sauce (right), both assuming 8 servings. Note that the wings have been adjusted to reflect the amount of fat that is rendered out (I measured the fat I poured off the tray ).