I am not one for baking cookies and cakes. So if I can get these Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches into the oven in 10 minutes, you can probably do it in 8 minutes! No mixer and just 3 ingredients.
“These cookies are made with just butter, sugar and flour. The holy trinity of baking!”
These insanely addictive morsels are based on a South American treat called Alfajores which are shortbread cookies spread with Dulce De Leche (caramel) and sandwiched together. The shortbread used in Alfajores is not difficult but …..well, honestly? When I started to prepare to make the biscuits, I simply couldn’t muster the energy to do the full blown “real deal” shortbread for the Alfajores which required pulling out my Kitchen Aid, 20 minutes prep rather than 10 minutes, and 6 more ingredients. It had been a long day! I made these biscuits at 9.30pm at night so I could photograph them in the morning!
So after about 3 seconds of indecisiveness, I decided to make my “go to” shortbread instead. And truly, these are so delicious that I am not entirely convinced I will ever make Alfajores again…..
“These sure look like they took more than 10 minutes to prepare….that’s my kind of baking!”
This is the recipe I have used for shortbread since I can remember. Probably since I left home at the tender age of 18 and had to fend for myself (I’m not going to tell you how long ago that was!). It does not require a mixer and it literally takes 3 minutes to mix up. The dough is soft and easy to handle, not so sticky that it’s difficult to roll out and to place the cut rounds onto the baking tray.
And the thing that always gets me is how smooth the silky the surface is when it comes out of the oven! They definitely look like they took more than 10 minutes of work. Now that’s my kind of baking!
These cookie sandwiches are filled with Dulce De Leche made in a slow cooker which requires only 1 ingredient and takes 15 seconds to prepare. All you do is place sealed cans (without even removing the label) into a slow cooker, cover with water and then set and forget. When you open the can, you will be greeted with insanely rich, thick caramel which is perfectly smooth (no stirring required!). It’s a miracle.
3 Ingredient Shortbread Cookie Sandwich w/Dulce De Leche
- 225 g / 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar), plus extra for dusting work surface
- 2 cups plain flour
- Dulce De Leche (see Slow Cooker Dulce De Leche (Caramel Sauce) - 1 ingredient recipe)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. If your baking tray is small, you might need 2.
- Combine butter and icing sugar in a bowl and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add flour and mix until it starts to look like dough (it will start out looking crumbly but it will come together). Use your hands to roughly form a ball.
- Scatter icing sugar over a work surface and turn the dough out onto it.
- Flatten out to about 1cm / 1/2” thickness with your hand, then place a sheet of baking paper over it and use a rolling pin to lightly roll it out to 0.5cm / 1/4 “ thickness.
- Use a 6.5cm/2.5” round cookie cutter to cut rounds out, then use a knife or egg flip to transfer the cookies to the baking tray.
- Ball up the excess dough and cut more rounds. You should get 16 cookies.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until pale golden brown and starting to just slightly brown on the edges. You might think it is undercooked, but it will continue to cook on the baking tray.
- Remove baking trays from oven and let the cookies cool on the tray.
- When the cookies are cool, spread half the cookies with a dollop of Dulce De Leche. Then sandwich with remaining cookies.