This Asian Side Salad is as versatile as the name suggests – it’s a terrific fresh salad that will pair with any Asian food! From Chinese to Japanese, Thai to Vietnamese, Malaysian, Singaporean, Korean and Taiwanese, it’s right at home alongside fiery Asian curries as it is with a Chinese BBQ Pork, Thai Chicken Satay or Chicken Fried Rice.
Asian Side Salad
Unlike many Western cuisines, there are actually not that many “side salads” in Asian cuisines. There are pickled vegetables and small vegetable dishes that make up part of a larger banquet. And in many South East Asian cuisines, you’ll often find dishes like Thai Fried Rice are served with some plain, undressed wedges of tomato and cucumber which provide welcome freshness and juiciness.
But there’s actually not that many side salads that are quick to throw together to add greens into a meal.
So while this Asian Side Salad isn’t an authentic recipe associated with any cuisine in particular, it’s a terrific salad with authentic Asian roots. The Dressing is so good you can literally use it to dress any veggies and it will be delicious!!
What goes in the Asian Dressing
Here’s what you need for the Asian Dressing. The rice vinegar can be substituted with cider vinegar, and you can omit either the garlic or ginger and it will still be fabulous.
For a simple alternative Asian dressing, try this simple Asian Sesame Dressing.
What goes in the Asian Salad
And here’s what I put in the salad. Though in all honesty, as mentioned above, you can literally put any raw salads with the Asian Dressing and it will be fantastic!!
The Crispy Fried Shallots are store bought and they are shallots that have been deep fried until crispy. They make a terrific garnish for salads and makes a regular appearance around here! Found in the Asian section of supermarkets but cheaper at Asian stores.
What to serve with Asian Side Salad
This is a terrific salad that will pair really well with all things Asian! In fact, I cannot think of any Asian dish that I wouldn’t serve this salad with. Here are a few suggestions:
- Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Chicken Fried Rice, Thai Fried Rice or Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice)
- Egg Foo Young (Chinese Omelette)
- Spring Rolls!
- Chinese Corn Soup with Chicken
- Sticky Baked Chinese Chicken Wings
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Asian noodles like Chow Mein, Pad See Ew or Thai Drunken Noodles
- Browse all Asian recipes
– Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Asian Side Salad
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (light or all purpose, not dark soy)
- 3 tbsp peanut oil (or canola, vegetable or other neutral oil)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (sub cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger , minced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 120 g / 4oz mixed leafy salad greens
- 250 g / 8oz cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 red onion , finely sliced
- 1/4 cup crispy fried shallots (Note 1)
- Shake Dressing ingredients in a jar.
- Place Salad ingredients except fried shallots in a bowl. Drizzle with Dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle with fried shallots and served immediately!
Life of Dozer
Yes my hand is that small. Yes his paw is that big!! ?