This Cheese and Garlic Crack Bread is EPIC! “Crack bread” is an appropriate name for this because it’s garlic bread – on crack! It’s basically a cheesy garlic bread, but so much more delicious!!
Cheese, garlic and bread – you can’t go wrong. This is a great cost effective FUN centrepiece for your next gathering!
“You will never be able to look at garlic bread the same again….”
If you haven’t tried this Cheese and Garlic Crack Bread before, let me warn you now: garlic bread will never be the same again. It’s like a pull apart bread, but tastes like garlic bread plus you have the mozzarella cheese which stretches wonderfully as you pull bits off.
This is INSANELY delicious. I especially love the way the bread is cut into diamond shapes so you can tear bite size pieces off. Every piece is garlicky and buttery and oh-so-cheesy…….
“Kids go NUTS over this….and grown ups turn INTO kids when they get stuck into this.”
This is one the kids go NUTS over, don’t say I didn’t warn you! And grown ups turn into little kids when they get stuck into this. I made this for a dinner and let me tell you, it took 5 hands about 30 seconds to demolish this!
The best bread to use for Cheese and Garlic Crack Bread is crusty sourdough or another dense type of bread, but it works well with plain crusty loaves as well. The reason it works better with sourdough is because the bread is denser so the bread tends to hold together better when you pull bits off. But believe me, there is no compromise on flavour if you use other types of bread! In fact, in the photo I chose to use a crusty Vienna loaf because it was on special.
And I really recommend using mozzarella cheese for this, you want it to stretch and pull when you tear the pieces off. I kept the flavours quite simple, going for a garlic bread with cheese, but you can go really wild with the flavours for this! Ranch dressing, kick of chilli, other herbs – the possibilities are endless!
This is a great centrepiece for a dinner that could just be accompanied by a fresh salad to make a complete meal. Or as a fabulous appetiser or party food – think game day!
PS The best bit is the base of the bread….the butter and cheese drips to the bottom and it bakes so nice and crispy…..
PPS If you like cheesy things you can eat with your hands, you will probably also love these No Washing Up Ham Egg and Cheese Bowls (named as such because you won’t have to wash a single pot, pan, baking tray of any other kitchen utensil!)
Cheese and Garlic Crack Bread (Pull Apart Bread)
- 1 crusty loaf , preferably sourdough or Vienna
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or other melting cheese)
- 100 g /3.5 oz / 7 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large garlic cloves , minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley , finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine butter, garlic and salt in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir through parsley.
- Cut the bread on a diagonal into 2cm/1" diamonds but do not cut all the way through the bread (just like you would cut a french stick for garlic bread).
- Use your fingers or a knife to pry open each crack and drizzle in a teaspoon of butter and stuff in a pinch of cheese. This might sound like a bit of an effort, but I promise you it is worth it! You don't need to be super neat, it's nice to have some of the butter drizzled over the crust.
- Wrap with foil and bake for 15minutes until the cheese has mostly melted, then unwrap and bake for 5 minutes more to make the bread nice and crusty.
- Serve immediately.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
LIFE OF DOZER
Yesterday, today, tomorrow… #HardLifeOfDozer