Cosmopolitan Cocktails are a classic, elegant vodka cocktail made famous by the ladies of Sex and the City! Not to sweet, not too tart, super quick to make made with cranberry juice, lime juice, vodka and cointreau.
Serve this for elegant pre dinner drinks or an evening in with the girls!
I love Cosmos for how easy they are to drink – and how I always feel like I’m channeling the New-York-Gal within as I daintily sip away!
Truthfully though, I live in the Northern Beach of Sydney. I spend my days in flip flops, denim shorts and comfortable tees, a whirlwind of activity between the kitchen, shooting area and my computer.
About as far from NYC-like as you can get.
But with a glass of Cosmo in my hand? I feel a little bit closer to the glitz and glam of NYC! ?
What you need for Cosmos
Here’s what you need:
- Cranberry juice – be sure not to use unsweetened cranberry juice, it’s very tart…. too tart! You need the sweet cranberry juice to get the right balance of sweet;
- Vodka – plain, unflavoured vodka. Use mid shelf because there’s quite a lot of vodka in Cosmos. Top shelf if your budget stretches that far….but I typically serve top shelf vodka straight;
- Cointreau – this is a clear orange flavoured liquor called triple sec. Cointreau is a brand of triple sec, the best, in my opinion (certainly the most well known); and
- Lime juice – fresh!
With 3 full shots of alcohol, Cosmos are pretty potent!!
How to make Cosmopolitan Cocktails
Just pour everything into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake well to chill, then strain into a martini glass.
The classic garnish is orange peel. The extra little fragrance you get as you drink the Cosmopolitan drives home the orange flavour and is really lovely!
When to serve Cosmopolitan Cocktails
Cosmos are one of those cocktails that are quite elegant so they’re ideal to serve at dinner parties as a pre dinner drink. Plus, it’s a pretty short drink (as opposed to large volume tall drinks like Tequila Sunrises) so you don’t fill up on cocktails before dinner.
And while I say they’re a classy drink, I also think of Cosmos as fun too! Think – Girls’ Nights Out (well, nights IN!), Bachelorette Parties, Christmas (on theme colour!), Thanksgiving, and other holiday occasions!
What to serve with Cosmos
I think Cosmos are the sort of cocktail that are ideal to serve with finger food. Try Crostinis with your choice of toppings, Mini Quiche or Smoked Salmon Appetizer Bites, or have a browse through all my Party Foods.
Cosmopolitan Cocktails would also pair beautifully with a homemade Gravlax. It’s easy – impressive! – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
- 60ml/ 2 oz Vodka (Note 1)
- 30ml/ 1 oz Cointreu
- 90ml/ 3 oz cranberry juice , sweet (not unsweetened, Note 2)
- 2 tsp lime juice , fresh
- Orange peel , optional garnish
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, cointreau, cranberry juice and lime. Shake vigorously 10 times.
- Strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish with orange peel.
Life of Dozer
“Play with me, play with me!!” (A daily vision…)