Get the sauce right and you can make a seriously tasty fried rice in less than 10 minutes using virtually anything!
This is super quick, made with egg and frozen veggies, but I couldn’t resist adding a handful of bacon for added tastiness. A highly versatile fried rice recipe you can make your own – such as adding chicken or shrimp/prawns.
FRIED RICE – SUPER QUICK!
I don’t know about you, but I always have bags of frozen cooked rice in the freezer. Best handy cooking tip ever. No more waiting for the rice to cook + rest (25 minutes) when you’re whipping up a 12 minute stir fry using my All Purpose Chinese Stir Fry Sauce. Just reheat frozen rice!
And of course, having frozen rice means on hand at all times means you’re just 15 minutes away from serving up FRIED RICE for dinner!! Here’s a Chinese Shrimp/Prawn Fried Rice, Nasi Goreng (Indo Fried Rice) and Thai Fried Rice. Oh – and there’s always today’s Egg Fried Rice 😂…
Today’s Egg Fried Rice is a highly adaptable recipe. Terrific as it is, and also to add more vegetables or proteins. Use it to make Chicken Fried Rice, Prawn / Shrimp Fried Rice or skip meat completely and make it meat free!
If you make Egg Fried Rice “properly”, you’ll make a thin omelette using the eggs, roll it up, chop it, then toss it back into the wok with the rice.
Me – I make Egg Fried Rice as a lazy quick meal. So I scramble the eggs on the side of the wok – or skillet. It sounds cheeky, but actually, this is a technique common in Thai Stir Fries, like in the ever popular Pad See Ew. It works great!
I’ve used a basic mix of frozen chopped vegetables in this fried rice recipe, because I totally buy into the whole “snap frozen” thing. Just carrots, peas and corn.
But don’t let my laziness influence you. Feel free to use fresh veggies! – Nagi x
PS I’ve used a wok here but it’s not essential. A skillet will work just fine, but I recommend using a bit more oil to compensate for larger surface area. Also, if you use a large skillet, you can scale up the recipe. I’ve added these tips in the recipe. 😇
Egg Fried Rice
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Egg Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 120 g/4 oz bacon , chopped (optional, or use ham)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups frozen diced vegetables (I used peas, corn, carrots)
- 2 cups, packed, cooked white rice (day old refrigerated or frozen defrosted (Note 1))
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup shallots / scallions / green onions , sliced
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (or sake or Mirin or dry sherry) (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (or light or all purpose) (Note 4)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil , optional
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Heat about 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a wok or 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add onion, garlic and bacon. Cook until bacon is light golden - about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add vegetables (still frozen is fine). Cook for 2 minutes so they defrost and water evaporates.
- Add rice and Sauce ingredients. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes until liquid evaporates.
- Shove rice to the side of the wok / skillet. Add 1/2 tbsp oil into the cleared space, shift wok so the heat is centred over the cleared space. Pour in egg then scramble - cook it through properly, don't "soft scramble".
- Add shallots then stir the egg into the rice. Remove from heat and serve immediately!
LIFE OF DOZER
I upsized my little 2 seater convertible to a smallish 4WD because he grew out of it and hated the wind in his eyes when we were zooming around with the top down.
All that for a bloody dog, and yet he was so unhappy shoved in the boot, he’d stand with his chin on the back seat so that drool dripped down the leather seats (sorry to gross you out).
I caved and folded down the back seat to give him more space. I find it so ironic that I upsized to a larger car just for him, and yet I drive around with the back seat permanently folded down. 🙄