A classic French Salad Dressing is a dressing that everyone should know. It’s simple to make and lasts for 2 weeks so it’s a great standby – make a big batch! All you need are some crisp leafy greens, toss it in a French Salad Dressing and you have yourself an instant side salad!
I think a French Vinaigrette is the very first salad dressing recipe I learned to make properly. When I say “properly”, I mean more than just drizzling a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil over greens. Which there’s nothing wrong with doing, and I still certainly do that! I mean actually making a real proper salad dressing. I think this was my first. 🙂
The thing many people may not know about French Salad Dressings is that it keeps really well for up to 2 weeks. Yes it has eschalots (the small onions, also known as French shallots in Australia, or shallots in America). But it continues to flavour the dressing for around 2 weeks, and it doesn’t go bad. Unlike garlic which does. Very important cooking trivia – fresh garlic, once chopped or minced, goes bad after a few days and can cause a nasty form of food poisoning called botulism. I’m referring here to raw garlic. Cooked and dried garlic is ok. Query store bought garlic – I’m not entirely sure but would personally not risk it.
So because a classic French Vinaigrette does not have garlic in it, it’s fine to keep! And unlike garlic, eschalots and onion keep for weeks in oil. 🙂 So this French Vinaigrette will be just as tasty as the day you made it for up to 2 weeks. Beyond this I find the eschalots lose flavour power, but it’s still a tasty dressing.
This French Vinaigrette goes in my bucket of “recipes that everyone should know”. Definitely a classic to keep! – Nagi x
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
French Salad Dressing (French Vinaigrette)
Big Batch to keep (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup eschalots / French shallots , finely chopped (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar (or sherry or champagne vinegar)
- 4 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or more if you want richer)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
Small batch (Side salad for 4 ppl)
- 1 tbsp eschalots / French shallots , finely chopped (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp red or white wine vinegar (or sherry or champagne vinegar)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil (I use 5 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper
- Place ingredients in a jar and shake well until combined. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Let rest for 5 minutes before using, or keep up to 2 weeks.
- Small Batch: Use to dress 4 handfuls of leafy greens.
Don’t miss all the other Ready To Use Dressings I shared! These all last for 2+ weeks, most for 3 weeks.Find them all here.
Leave a Comment