French toast you can eat with your hands and taste like ham and cheese toasties! Fast to make, these Ham and Cheese French Toast Roll Ups are great for feeding an army AND you can even make them ahead. Win, win, win!
“When you Google “ham cheese french toast roll up”, there are zero search results. When I hit “publish”, there will be 1 result!”
I didn’t expect to post this recipe. I’ve seen countless french toast roll ups on the internet so I thought there was little point in adding mine into the mix. But the other day, I realised that all those french toast roll ups I’d seen were sweet ones, usually filled with cream cheese and berries, then coated in sugar. Whereas mine are savoury.
A quick google confirmed that french toast roll ups with ham and cheese inside them certainly aren’t a dime a dozen. In fact, when I Googled “ham cheese french toast roll up”, it return zero results. Lots of french toast roll ups (sweet), and ham and cheese french toast (sandwich style), but zero ham and cheese french toast roll ups.
“These french toast roll ups taste just like ham and cheese toasties!”
I have to admit, I was a touch hesitant posting this recipe. Wondering whether the reason why no one else has published a recipe list this (that I can find!) is because this is just weird. Is it??? For me, it ticks all my boxes for a great breakfast:
1. You can eat it with your fingers. Because we all know that everything tastes better when you can use your hands!
2. Fast to make and you can cook as many as you can fit in your pan in one go (unlike usual pan fried french toast which you have to cook in batches);
3. Fabulous “morning after” recovery food. Butter, cheese, salt, bread. Hits my sweet spot every time; and
4. You can make it ahead. Which I don’t bother doing if I’m only making one batch because these are so fast to make, but is really convenient if I’m cooking for a crowd.
Now I really should keep writing and give you the “story” behind these and share some witty anecdotes, but I’m hungry so please excuse me. I want to get stuck into my breakfast!
PS I will share one thing though. I’ve shared in previous posts my embarrassment about the abnormally small size and pudginess of my hands. “Baby Hands”, my friends call them. Well, sometimes I send photos to my family for feedback before selecting the ones to include in a post. When I sent a photo featuring my hands, I asked “Are my hands too pudgy in this shot? Are they ruining the photo of the food?”
My brother’s response – “No. It gives you credibility. Never trust a skinny chef.”
Ham and Cheese French Toast Roll Ups
- 6 slices fresh sandwich bread (I used white, but you could use wholemeal, wholegrain etc) (see notes)
- 3 slices of melting cheese , each cut into 4 strips (I used Jarlsberg. Tasty, cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella are also great), or 3/4 cup grated melting cheese (see notes)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream or low fat)
- 2 small slices of ham (around 50g / 1.5 oz)
- Pinch of salt
- Optional - cut the crusts off the bread.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread.
- Divide the ham between the bread and lay it out in a strip about 1cm / 1/3" wide along the bottom edge of the bread. Cut to fit neatly if necessary - that's what I did.
- Top each with 2 slices of cheese, or scatter grated cheese along the ham.
- Starting from the bottom, roll the bread up and finish with the seam side down.
- Place the egg, milk and salt in a flat dish and use a fork to whisk.
- Heat butter in a large fry pan over medium high heat.
- Dip the roll ups in the egg, rolling to coat all over. Then place in the fry pan. Place all roll ups in the same pan.
- Cook the roll ups for 45 seconds to 1 minute, then turn 90 degrees. Repeat again 2 more times (so 4 sides of each roll up is browned).
- Remove from pan and serve immediately.