Mashed Potato Cakes with Cheese & Bacon: The name says it all. These babies have all the essential food groups in them. Cheese. Bacon. Potato. Greens. (You see those tiny bits of scallions/shallots, don’t you?). And they’re crispy!
I’m sitting in a dark corner of Los Angeles International airport (squatting by a powerpoint!), writing this post for a recipe I cooked and photographed before I left for month long trip to Mexico and Los Angeles. It’s Monday night LA time and I won’t arrive home until Wednesday morning Sydney time because of the time difference.
The flight actually isn’t that long – “only” 15 hours, far faster than the 24 hours it takes to get to London! But Sydney is 18 hours ahead of LA. Which is fantastic when I’m going TO America because I leave in the morning Sydney time, then I arrive in LA just after lunch on the same day. I never fail to get a kick out of that!
However, on the way back, it works the other way and I lose an entire day. It’s a strange feeling to leave LA on a Monday and arrive home on a Wednesday!
I’ve never been disappointed with a trip overseas and this one was no exception. I visited Mexico City and Oaxaca (for Day of the Dead celebrations – wow, what a festival!), followed by some downtime in Playa Del Carmen then a week in Los Angeles. I have so many stories and photos to share which I’ll be doing in the coming weeks when I’ve had a chance to sort through them all. You know me – I can’t share stories without photos!!!
Right now, I must admit that after almost 1 month away from home, I am very ready for a home cooked meal. These Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes are one of the last things I made before I left for my travels and just looking at these photos have me longing to be back in the kitchen in my own home. I know they aren’t fancy food, quite simple actually. I mean, they’re made with leftover mashed potatoes.
But honestly, I tell you – add bacon and cheese to the potato, coat the patties in panko or flour then pan fry until golden and crispy….and WOAH! That’s how you turn the ordinary into extraordinary. I mean, look how crispy these are!!
Not that there’s anything magic about this recipe. Because you know just as well as me that any combination of potato + bacon + cheese + crispiness = irresistibleness. (Is that a real word? Spell check seems to think it is.)
As much as I enjoy travelling and eating out, the core of me is a total homebody who just loves good home cooked food. And I can’t wait to get home and back into my kitchen! I’m just 15 hours away – yay!! 🙂
– Nagi x
Leftover Mashed Potato Cheese & Bacon Cakes
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups mashed potato , cold
- 1 large egg or 2 small eggs
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup grated melting cheese
- 8 oz / 250g bacon , diced
- 1/2 cup scallions/shallots , thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs OR 3/4 cup plain flour
- 4 to 6 tbsp oil (any cooking oil)
- Mix together the Potato Cake ingredients in a bowl until just combined.
- Spread the panko or flour out on a large plate or baking tray (to fit 6 patties).
- Measure out 1/4 cup level amount of potato mixture OR a slightly heaped ice cream scooper (this is what I use because using the lever, it pops out easily) and drop onto panko/flour. Repeat to fill plate / baking tray (don't crowd, difficult to handle).
- Use an egg flip (or base of cup) to pat it down to 1.5cm/2/3" thick patties, then flip and pat to coat the other side with panko/flour. Set aside and repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Heat 1/2 the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook 6 patties at a time until golden brown on each side - around 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side.
- Remove onto a paper towel lined baking tray. Cook remaining patties.
- Serve hot!