I was going to call this “Recovery Breakfast Tacos”. Because honestly, after an evening with a few too many vinos, this punchy flavoured breakfast is a perfect “pick me up”. The scrambled eggs have a kick of chili and are cooked in the chorizo flavours so they are loaded with extra flavour!
I love chorizos for breakfast, like in Chorizo Baked Beans on Toast and Chorizo Breakfast Hash with Bacon and Smashed Potato. The big flavour punch is a wake up call!
I had to share this recipe today because I got an email from a reader yesterday who made me laugh with this message:
“….my confession… I have a slight obsession with Chorizo… Best. Thing. Ever…
Do you have any scrumptious recipes involving this godlike substance?”
YES, I have plenty of recipes using chorizo. I call it my “secret weapon” in cooking. It is so loaded with flavour and I think the trick with chorizo is to make sure you don’t waste a scrap of that flavour!
One of the ways to make the most of chorizo is to use the oil that is released when you brown it to cook other components of a dish. For example, in this One Pan Spanish Chicken with Chorizo, Tomato and Potatoes, the oil and flavour released by the chorizo is used as the base flavour for the sauce.
In these breakfast tacos, the chorizo is browned THEN the egg is cooked in the same pan so it can soak up all the flavours of the chorizo. That’s why the egg has a slightly brown tinge to it – it’s all flavour!
Golden rule in cooking – never throw out free flavour!
I went all out with these tacos so they are topped with pico de gallo (Mexican tomato salsa), avocado and even a sprinkle of feta (use cotija if you can!). You don’t have to! Just the eggs + chorizo is still fabulous.
Oh – before I forget! This is made using raw chorizo which is essentially like a sausage. I removed it from the casing and then browned it, breaking it up like mince (ground meat). I like the crumbly texture that then mixes into the soft scrambled eggs. BUT you can make this with cured chorizo – the stuff that you see on antipasto platters that you can eat without cooking. It is a bit more of a pain because you will need to dice it. But it will have virtually the same flavour and the texture will only be slightly different.
I made this with Spanish chorizo because – boo hoo – we don’t have Mexican chorizo here in Australia (that I know of….anyone care to correct me? Please!). Whichever you use, you can’t go wrong! 🙂
Now, please excuse me. My chubby little Baby Hands are done typing, it has something else it needs to do. Urgently. 🙂
Mexican Breakfast Tacos (Chorizo and Egg)
Pico de gallo
- 2 tomatoes , deseeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion , diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice (adjust to taste) (around 1 lime)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 7 oz / 200g Mexican or raw Spanish chorizo , removed from casings (Note 1)
Mexican Scrambled Eggs ("Eggs")
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 birds eye chilies , deseeded and finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1 small onion (brown, yellow, white)
- 4 large eggs , lightly whisked (or 6 small eggs)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 4 small tortillas , corn or flour (around 6" / 12 cm rounds)
- Cotija or feta , crumbled
- Avocado , diced
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
- Combine Pico de gallo ingredients EXCEPT THE SALT in a bowl and set aside while you prepare the rest of the breakfast.
- Cook Chorizo: Heat olive oil in a non stick fry pan over high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, breaking up the pieces, until browned. Remove chorizo into a bowl. Drain excess fat but leave enough to cook the eggs.
- Make the Eggs: Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic, chilies and onion to the pan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent and starting to turn golden. Add the eggs and milk and stir slowly with a wooden spoon until the eggs start to set. Remove the pan from the stove while they are still a bit wet because they will keep cooking. Stir through salt and pepper - adjust to taste.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or oven, per packet instructions.
- Add salt to pico de gallo and toss.
- Assemble: Place some scrambled eggs in a tortilla then top with chorizo then pico de gallo. Garnish with cotija / feta, avocado and coriander/cilantro leaves.