This is the most ridiculously easy, fast mid week meal that is super tasty, wonderfully light, and on the table in 10 minutes. Couscous is my mid-week meal secret. It’s so versatile, and just requires hot water to make it.
Topping possibilities are endless, I’ve made it here with diced tomato and avocado, but you can load it up with sour cream, cheese and even crispy tortilla chips. It would go fabulously with some Pork Carnitas tossed through it. This is definitely a midweek staple recipe you should keep!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Mexican Couscous Express
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp diced jalapeño (fresh is better, but tinned also ok)
- 2 scallions (shallots), roughly sliced (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz / 400 g) black beans or red kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz / 400 g) corn kernels
- Handful of coriander / cilantro
- 1 tomato , deseeded and diced
- 1/2 avocado , diced
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Place salt, cumin, onion powder and couscous in a bowl, quickly toss to combine.
- Add boiling water, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, add tomato paste and stir to evenly coat the couscous.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Serve with optional toppings.
Leave a Comment