Mussels are highly underrated – they’re cheap, quick and easy to cook, and delicious. The chorizo in this recipe adds another dimension. Be sure to have plenty of crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
Mussels with Chorizo and White Wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g / 7 oz hot spanish chorizo , diced into 1cm/0.5" cubes
- 1⁄2 spanish onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 kg / 2 lbs mussels , bearded and scrubbed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups crushed tinned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley , roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Crusty bread to serve
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat, then add chorizo and saute until they start to turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic and onion, stirring occasionally until onion is soft and fragrant.
- Add wine and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels, and coat with sauce. Cover and cook, shaking pot occasionally. The mussels are cooked when they are open - around 5 to 8 minutes.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Toss through parsley and season to taste. Be careful with the salt as the mussels are already salty. Serve, garnished with extra parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.