Some may tout Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms as a low-carb pizza. But to me, they’re just a really delicious way to use big mushrooms and turn them into a meal!! Super duper quick ‘n easy.
Mushrooms and I are very good friends.
And now I’m going to show you how to stuff them. With PIZZA toppings. It’s a total mind spin – looks and tastes like pizza, but it’s healthier and low carb!
These Stuffed Mushrooms are a healthier, low carb way to get your pizza fix!
What I put in Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
The topping options are as varied as you want them to be! Whatever you love on your pizzas, pile into mushrooms.
The only essentials in my world are pizza sauce – sort of the glue that brings it all together – and cheese (because there’s no such thing as pizza without cheese in my world! ?)
I’ve gone with salami, olives and red onion, as well as the stem of the mushroom which I chop up after breaking off. And I’ve used store bought Pizza Sauce in this recipe because this is the sort of thing I make as a quick ‘n easy dinner (see here if you want to make your own!).
How I make stuffed mushrooms
I like to do a double bake:
- Bake 1 – 10 minutes with the filling minus the cheese
- Bake 2 – 10 minutes with the cheese, until bubbly and golden
This makes mushrooms that are tender but still holding their form which is my preference, rather than being super duper soft and collapsing. If you like super soft, just keep them in the oven for longer.
TIP! Incision to drain excess water
Mushrooms are packed with an astonishing amount of water, so you’ll find the filling becomes very watery once baked unless you do something to deal with the excess water.
I find the easiest and most effective way to do this is to just cut a cross in the base of the mushrooms. This will allow excess water to drain out as it bakes.
Oooh, that moment when you cut into it…. so satisfyingly meaty….
….and yesssss! The cheese pull!
GRILLED Stuffed Mushrooms!
In the base recipe, I’ve baked these Stuffed Mushrooms. However, I’ve also made these on the BBQ and they come out 100% perfectly!
In fact, I’m a little obsessed with the grilled Stuffed Mushrooms lately. They’ve been happening a lot around these parts.
And the fact that these are low carb, low cal? It’s a free bonus. Because I’d make these whether they were healthy or not! – Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 5 large mushrooms , 10cm/4" wide (portobello, flat mushrooms etc, Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce (I use store bought)
- 100g/ 3.5 oz salami slices , chopped
- 1/4 red onion , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup black olive slices
- 1 cup (100g) mozzarella cheese , shredded
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Carefully break or cut the stems off the mushrooms.
- Chop stems (will use as filling).
- Place mushrooms cap side up. Using a small, sharp, THIN knife, cut a small cross in the mushroom, taking great care not to split the mushroom (to drain excess water, Note 2)
- Brush the tops with oil, then quickly sprinkle on salt and pepper (be fast so it sticks!)
- Flip then lightly dab the inside with remaining oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill mushrooms with pizza sauce, sprinkle with chopped mushroom, onion, half salami and half olives.
- Bake 1 - Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven.
- Top with cheese, remaining salami and olives.
- Bake 2 - Bake further 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately!
- Preheat BBQ to medium high.
- Follow above steps in closed BBQ - 10 minutes for Bake 1, then 5 - 8 minutes for Bake 2.
Life of Dozer
Dozer-Nagi selfie attempt….
Don’t worry, I’m not hurting him, he has very flappy jowls…?