All the flavours of enchiladas with a lot less effort! 10 minutes prep, throw everything into a slow cooker, set and forget, come home to the ultimate comfort food. Dinner tonight is my Slow Cooked Shredded Chicken Enchilada Soup. I call it an Enchilada soup because the broth flavouring is based on my Enchilada Sauce recipe, and with the toppings it tastes just like a chicken enchilada with all the trimmings!
Toppings are not optional – you must! I’ve used cheese, avocado and sour cream with baked crunchy tortilla chips on the side (I just cut tortillas and baked them for 5 minutes).
Shredded Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion , diced
- 1 large red bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups chicken broth / stock
- 2 x 15 oz / 400 g cans black beans (see notes)
- 2 x 15 oz / 400 g cans sweet corn
- 700 g tomato passata (Note 1)
- 3/4 - 1 tsp salt + black pepper
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder (or 2 tsp of one of them)
- 1 - 2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Toppings of Choice
- Cilantro/coriander to garnish
- Sour cream , grated cheese, avocado, tortilla or corn chips
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large fry pan (slow cooker method) or pot (stove method) and sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add spices and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, turn up the heat and bring to boil.
- SLOW COOKER: Pour it into the slow cooker, making sure you scrape in all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add all other ingredients in the slow cooker. Slow cook for 4 to 6 hours on low.
- STOVE: Add all other ingredients + 1 cup water. Bring to simmer, lower heat to medium low and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until chicken is tender enough to shred with 2 forks.
- Both methods: Remove the chicken onto a plate and use 2 forks to shred it (it will fall apart easily).
- Return chicken into the soup.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste with extra salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, and garnish with toppings of your choice.