Hands down the easiest way to cook lamb leg, this Slow Cooker Roast Lamb Leg is fall apart tender and incredibly succulent. 2 minutes prep, pop it in the slow cooker, brown it briefly in the oven while you make a killer gravy using the lamb juices. A roast made for sharing with family and friends!
Juicy and tender Slow Cooker Roast Lamb Leg
Spring is here!! Which means the flowers are blooming, the grass is greener, the days are longer and warmer, the familiar smell of BBQ’s firing up on weekends….. and spring lamb is here!!! This is the BEST time of the year for lamb because it’s tender and the flavour is mild.
And today, we’re celebrating the best of Spring Lamb with this Slow Cooker Roast Lamb Leg!! This is a repost of a recipe I shared just 6 months ago. I don’t make it a habit to republish recipes so soon – usually I do it years later. But I’ve made an exception for this lamb because we’re smack bang in the middle of spring, when lamb is at its best, and this is a personal favourite recipe but I wasn’t happy with the original recipe video I shared. 🙂
I know it’s only been 6 months, but in this time my video filming and editing skills have somewhat improved. And I just didn’t think the video I made back then did this justice for my most made lamb leg recipe. So I redid it. Well, parts of it. 🙂
This is the sort of food made for sharing with family and friends. I know there’s something grand about placing a whole lamb leg on the table as a centrepiece. But a pile of incredibly juicy, tender lamb is just as impressive in my books – and there’s no need to pass the plates over and wait for it to be carved. Just dive right in!
In my world, there are only 2 ways to cook lamb leg: either perfectly cooked so it’s pink and juicy inside (see my classic Roast Lamb with Gravy), or long and slow so it’s fall apart tender.
There is no in between!
Well, there is. But it’s dry and no amount of gravy can salvage it. It’s also very sad. ?
Roasting a lamb leg so it’s pink and juicy inside requires a meat thermometer to take the stress out of knowing when it’s perfectly cooked. You can of course wing it. But personally, I prefer to take the guess work out of it. Especially if you’ve splurged on a beautiful piece of high quality lamb leg!
But for ultimate stress free cooking, you cannot beat making a roast lamb in the slow cooker!
I know it sounds counter-intuitive to use the words “roast lamb” and “slow cooker” in the same sentence. But actually, it’s the right description for this recipe because it is cooked in the slow cooker and finished off in the oven to get that beautiful browning. And also to reheat it, in case the slow cooker finished and it was sitting on the warm function for a while.
And while it’s browning in the oven, make a quick gravy using the juices in the slow cooker. No need to deal with the clunkiness of making the gravy in a roasting pan, like you do when you roast lamb in the oven. Nope, this is a super simple one made in a saucepan using butter instead of the drippings in the roasting pan. And of course the juices left in the slow cooker. All. That. FLAVOUR!
My slow cooker is a standard size round one and I was able to fit in a 1.9kg / 3.8lb lamb leg which I purchased from Woolworths. At Woolies, lamb leg is sold with the shaft already cut – super handy so it can be bent and folded into the slow cooker. Thumbs up Woolies, vereeee practical!
I’ve used a small full lamb leg here, but it can easily be made with half lamb legs which don’t have the shaft so they will easily fit inside a standard slow cooker.
And of course, if you’re lucky enough to have one of those oval shaped slow cookers, you could make this with a full size lamb leg! After all, arguably one of the best things about roast lamb are the leftovers. Sandwiches with lamb and gravy. SO GOOD!!!! – Nagi xx
More Roast Lamb Recipes
I love a good roast lamb – so I’ve shared a few over the years!
- Classic Roast Lamb Leg with Gravy – the classic, perfectly blushing pink inside
- Slow Roast Leg of Lamb – infused with garlic and rosemary flavours, slow roasted until fall apart tender!
- Slow Roasted GREEK Leg of Lamb – garlicky lemony fall apart deliciousness
- Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder – the juiciest, most succulent roast lamb you will ever have!
- Slow Cooked Lamb Shawarma – flavour bomb! Your favourite Lamb Shawarma, slow roasted and piled over couscous or stuffed in pita bread
- See all Roast Lamb recipes
Slow Cooker Roast Lamb Leg
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Slow Cooker Roast Lamb Leg with Gravy
- 2.0 kg / 4 lb lamb leg, bone in (Note 1)
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme OR rosemary (or 2.5 tsp finely chopped fresh)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups / 500ml beef stock (or chicken) (Note 2)
- 1 sprig rosemary , optional
- 50 g / 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp / 40 g flour (any white)
- 2 cups / 500 ml braising liquid from slow cooker , strained
- Salt and pepper
- Place lamb in slow cooker or on work surface. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme or rosemary and garlic. Drizzle over oil, then rub on both sides.
- Pour beef stock into slow cooker, add sprig of rosemary (if using).
- SLOW COOK on low for 10 hours, or pressure cook on high for 1 hour 40 minutes. (See oven version here)
- The lamb should be tender enough to pull off with tongs, but still holding together (just!). Carefully remove lamb from slow cooker and transfer to tray.
- Drizzle lightly with oil (any). Bake at 200C/390F for 20 minutes or until browned. Remove and rest for 10 minutes before serving with gravy.
- Strain liquid in slow cooker into a bowl - you will have more than the 2 cups of broth you added, I usually have over 3 cups. Measure out 2 cups of liquid, reserve remaining liquid just in case.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add a bit of liquid, mixing as you go so it dissolves. Then add remaining liquid. Whisk if there are lumps.
- Increase to medium high heat and cook, stirring regularly, until thickened to your taste. Use remaining liquid to thin if required.
Today’s recipe is brought to you by Woolworths, celebrating Spring Lamb!! Lamb is at its best in spring – it’s tender, with a softer texture and milder, sweet flavour. Woolworths lamb is prepared so it’s practical for slow cookers because they cut the shaft so it can be folded to fit in. ??
MORE ROAST LAMB
Classic Roast Lamb Leg with Gravy – Perfectly pink and juicy inside!
Slow Roasted Greek Lamb Leg – Amazing lemon and garlic flavours in this super tender lamb!
Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder – My favourite cut of lamb for roasting! Super tender, incredible flavour, and so forgiving!
LIFE OF DOZER
Contemplating being a stowaway.
I don’t want to come across as a snob, but seriously Dozer, if you’re going to stowaway on a boat, you can do better than that!!!