This dish not only takes minutes to prepare and looks elegant, it makes ordinary chain-store-bought tomatoes into something that tastes like you bought ripe, bursting with flavour organic local produce tomatoes. I openly admit I am obsessed with tomatoes dressed this way. And the great thing is it is so easy to put your own spin on it – use whatever herbs you want (basil of course, would be sensational), use shallots instead of red onion, olives instead of capers, pickles….just use whatever you have on hand!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Tomato and Artichoke Salad with Capers
- 3 to 4 tomatos , sliced into 1/3"/0.5cm slices
- 1 tbsp baby capers , or ordinary capers roughly chopped
- Few tinned artichokes , roughly chopped
- 1/4 red spanish onion , finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- Fresh pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon , juice only
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves (or other herb of your choice)
- Lay tomatoes on a plate, slightly overlapping.
- Scatter with capers, artichokes and red onion.
- Scatter with salt and pepper.
- Scatter with oregano leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and juice of the 1/2 lemon.
- Leave for 5 minutes so the salt makes the juices of the tomato seep. Do not leave for too much longer otherwise the salt will draw too much of the tomato juices out!
Leave a Comment