This dish not only takes minutes to prepare and looks elegant, it makes ordinary chain-store-bought tomatoes into something that tastes like you bought ripe, bursting with flavour organic local produce tomatoes. I openly admit I am obsessed with tomatoes dressed this way. And the great thing is it is so easy to put your own spin on it – use whatever herbs you want (basil of course, would be sensational), use shallots instead of red onion, olives instead of capers, pickles….just use whatever you have on hand!
- 3 to 4 tomatos , sliced into 1/3"/0.5cm slices
- 1 tbsp baby capers , or ordinary capers roughly chopped
- Few tinned artichokes , roughly chopped
- 1/4 red spanish onion , finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- Fresh pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon , juice only
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves (or other herb of your choice)
Lay tomatoes on a plate, slightly overlapping.
Scatter with capers, artichokes and red onion.
Scatter with salt and pepper.
Scatter with oregano leaves.
Drizzle with olive oil and juice of the 1/2 lemon.
Leave for 5 minutes so the salt makes the juices of the tomato seep. Do not leave for too much longer otherwise the salt will draw too much of the tomato juices out!