Crispy Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
Recipe video above. Tender potatoes with the most incredible CRISPY parmesan crust! Make these for your Sunday Roast or pass them around at a party! Serves 4 -5 as a side. Also, don't miss the Parmesan Crusted CAULIFLOWER!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 - 5 people
- 750 g / 1.5 lb baby potatoes , halved (about 3.5cm / 1.75", 20 - 24 potatoes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup / 50 g grated parmesan , the sand-like type (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or sub with onion powder)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt (I use table salt, leave out to lower sodium)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- 3/4 cup sour cream, or sub with plain yoghurt , or a combination of both
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions/scallions , plus more for garnish (or chives)
Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
Mix Parmesan Mixture in a bowl.
Drizzle oil in 22 x 33cm / 9 x 13" glass baking dish (Note 2). Tilt pan to spread all over the base.
Use a spoon to scatter the Parmesan Mixture over the base. Spread as evenly as you can. Once sprinkled, do not touch - don't try to spread it.
Place potatoes cut side down, pressing firmly.
Optional: drizzle top of potatoes with a touch of oil or spray with oil, then sprinkle with salt.
Bake potatoes for 35 - 40 minutes or until they are soft and the parmesan crust is deep golden (you can check through the glass!)
REST for 5 minutes. Then use an egg flip to cut between every 4 or so potatoes (i.e. cutting through the parmesan crust which bonds between each potato - see video), then scoop up 4 or so potatoes and flip them upside down so the cheese side is up on a serving platter.
Serve with Dipping Sauce, if using, and sprinkle over extra green onions if desired. Serve as a side dish or as nibbles!
1. Use the grated parmesan that has a sand-like consistency sold in the refrigerated section. I take no responsibility if you try this with the grated parmesan sold in the aisles!! Shredded parmesan doesn't go as crispy.
For freshly grated, use 50g/1.75 oz parmesan and a fine grater (microplane). Don't measure by cups because the volume of fresh grated parmesan is far greater than store bought for the same weight.
2. This works in a metal pan as well but I find the potatoes come off slightly easier from glass. Don't try lining with baking paper, you'll lose some of the crispiness.
3. Adapted from various Parmesan Crusted Potato recipes, including this one and this one and this one.
4. LEFTOVERS/MAKE AHEAD: Cool then refrigerate. Place in a baking pan cheese side UP and bake at 200C/400F for 5 minutes or until just heated through and cheese is crispy again. It's not quite the same as freshly made, but it's still darn good!
5. Nutrition per serving, assuming 5 servings.
Serving: 153g | Calories: 219kcal