The most incredible cauliflower recipe ever – Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower is quick, easy and off-the-charts delicious!
Try it for dinner tonight – as a side, or as the main. Or as a healthy, low carb snack at a gathering!
Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
This Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower is the low carb, healthier version of these Parmesan Crusted Potatoes I shared a few weeks ago. Because I felt so bad for everyone who left wailing messages along the lines of “I’m trying to be healthy! What are you doing to me!!!?”.
Then there was one sensible lady who calmly asked “This looks terrific. Do you have any suggestions for other vegetables this could be made with?” And here is my sensible response – Parmesan Crusted CAULIFLOWER!!!
The most amazing cauliflower recipe ever – full stop!
This is an unbelievably delicious way to roast cauliflower!
I must confess, I thought it would be as easy as swapping the potatoes for the cauliflower. But actually, it didn’t work that well, it came out quite soggy. Which, logically, makes sense because cauliflower has more water in it than potatoes.
So it took a few goes to get it right. I added a little panko breadcrumbs to add crunch, reduced the oil a touch (too much oil actually makes the crust soggy with cauliflower, unlike with potatoes), I bake it for a few minutes after turning the cauliflower to reveal the gorgeous crust to add a bit of extra crunch.
And the small yet big change I made was to eliminate salt altogether. Potatoes can take alot of salt.
So the parmesan alone is enough salt for cauliflower. Though if you have a very salty palette, you may wish to sprinkle some on at the end. But try it first without adding extra salt, see what you think.
How to serve Parmesan Crusted Roasted Cauliflower
I know the obvious way to serve this Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower is as a side. But I think it also makes a very satisfying vegetarian meal. Cauliflower is quite meaty, don’t you think? You can even make cauliflower steaks using this recipe. Imagine that!
This was actually my lunch on the day I photographed this – see below. I made some couscous, stirred through butter, salt, pepper and sliced spinach. Added tomatoes on the side, piled on the cauliflower.
Not a bad lunch! ~ Nagi x
More cauliflower recipes
PS The crust is on one side only. So one side has nice browning from the roasting, and the other side is crusted with the parmesan. 🙂
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower recipe video!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Roasted Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
- 1 large head of cauliflower , firm not old and floppy
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Oil spray (I use olive oil) (Note 1)
- Finely chopped parsley , for garnish, if desired
- 1/2 cup / 50g grated parmesan , the sand-like type (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (Note 3)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan/convection).
- Mix Crust ingredients in a small bowl.
- Break cauliflower into large florets. Cut very large florets into 1.5cm / 3/5" thick slices, and the medium florets in half. You want a large flat surface area on each piece for the crust to adhere to.
- Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm / 12 x 16") with paper.
- Drizzle tray with oil. Use a cauliflower to spread the oil all over the paper (see video).
- Sprinkle Crust mixture all over the tray, as evenly as possible. Don't touch it once scattered.
- Place cauliflower down on the Crust mixture, pressing down lightly. Don't jam them right up against each other (they will steam and go soggy), keep a tiny bit of space between each one.
- Spray generously with oil. Sprinkle with a bit of black pepper (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes until crust is deep golden.
- Use tongs to turn the cauliflower so the crust side is up. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with finely chopped parsley or other herb, if desired.
In case you missed it…
Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes!
LIFE OF DOZER
Size perspective – this is at the foot of my queen size bed…. He’s 40kg / 80 lb!!!!!
Leave a Comment