Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Recipe video above. A terrifically easy baked chicken drumsticks with a magical 4 ingredient Honey Mustard sauce. Plus, option to add crispy smashed potatoes for an effortless dinner on one tray!
Prep Time11 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 11 mins
Smashed Potatoes (optional):
- 4 x 150g/5oz potatoes (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp / 30 g olive oil or melted butter
- 8 chicken legs (about 1 kg / 2 lb) (Note 2)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard (or use more Dijon)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch (Note 4)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For serving (optional):
- Fresh thyme leaves or chopped parsley
- Steamed broccolini
Smashed Potatoes option:
Microwave potatoes for 10 minutes on high or until cooked. (Note 5)
Place on one side of tray. Squish using potato masher (Note 6) to about 1.7cm / 2/3" thickness. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If making smashed potatoes, fold up the edges of the foil the drumsticks are on
Sticky Baked Drumsticks:
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Mix Sauce ingredients together with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Line tray with foil, then top with parchment paper.
Place drumsticks on paper. If making smashed potatoes, fold up the edges of the foil so the sauce won't leak into the potatoes (doesn't need to be high - even 1cm / 2/5" is enough, video useful).
Spoon Sauce over drumsticks. Drizzle chicken with olive oil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Turn drumsticks (not potatoes), spoon juices over drumsticks.
Bake for a further 20 minutes, turn, spoon over juices. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until sauce reduces and the drumsticks are golden and sticky.
Remove from oven. Squidge the drumsticks around in what should now be a syrupy sauce. (Note 7) Serve drumsticks with sauce, with crispy smashed potatoes and steamed broccolini on the side. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves if using.
1. Potatoes - Can also boil about 25 minutes. I use the everyday dirt brushed potatoes or washed potatoes for this recipe (the most common potato types here in Australia). Any all purpose potato will be great with this. US: Red or Yukon gold is ideal - great crunch!
Can also use baby potatoes like in these Ultra Crispy Smashed Potatoes recipe. Most potatoes will be fine here - high starch potatoes will yield a fluffier inside, whereas waxy potatoes are a bit less fluffy but are sort of creamy. You'll love both!
2. Chicken - Or 4 to 5 bone in, skin on thighs, same cook time and method. Skinless boneless thighs will also work but only need 40 minutes in the oven so put the potatoes in first then add the thighs after 20 minutes.
3. Mustard - Or other smooth mustard (even that bright yellow stuff you put on hot dogs!), but not super spicy English mustard - unless you want it so spicy it blows your head off!
4. Cornflour - Without this, the sauce is watery because of the chicken juices. With this, you have a glossy, syrupy Honey Mustard sauce to drizzle all over the chicken and your veggies.
5. Potatoes - No need to prick, doesn't matter if they burst slightly. Doesn't even matter if they are not 100% cooked all the way through as long as they are cooked enough to squish.
6. Or fork or bottom of glass or spatula. If you can get rough ridges on the surface, you get better golden crispy bits!
7. SAUCE adjustments: This sauce thickness will be affected by how juicy your drumsticks are but it's super easy to adjust the sauce. Remove drumsticks and if it's too thick, add a tiny bit of water. If still watery, pop it back in the oven (without chicken) for a couple of minutes - it will thicken up super fast.
8. STORAGE: Drumsticks will reheat great from fridge or thawed from freezer. Spoon over share of sauce too! I just microwave to reheat. Crispy potato will recrisp in the oven - 180C/350F for around 10 minutes.
9. Nutrition per serving, including potato, chicken and all sauce, excludes steamed veg.
Serving: 370g | Calories: 577kcal