This Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Drumsticks recipe is a perfect, effortless way to cook chicken legs in the oven. Roasted with a magical 4 ingredient sauce, no marinating required, these drumsticks are golden, sticky and everyone loves them!
Plus an optional side of buttery, crispy smashed potatoes for a Baked Chicken Legs dinner made on one tray!
A really easy Sticky Baked Chicken Drumsticks
This baked Chicken Drumsticks recipe is one of those gems that you’re going to want to keep in your back pocket. Here’s why you’re going to love it and make it over and over again:
- Unbelievably easy – just spoon sauce over the chicken legs and bake;
- Magical 5 ingredient Honey Mustard Sauce
- They roast beautifully so they’re sticky and golden;
- The flavour is universally pleasing. It’s not too sweet, not too salty, it’s finger lickin’ good!
Difference between chicken legs and drumsticks?
Chicken legs and drumsticks are the same thing. Everybody’s favourite part of Roast Chicken!
Sauce for baked chicken legs
This Honey Mustard Sauce that we’re using for this baked legs recipe is magical. Just mustard, honey, garlic and cornflour / cornstarch*.
There are very few sauces in this world that taste so great with so few ingredients. And it coats the chicken legs so well, making them beautifully sticky!
* Without cornflour, the sauce is super watery because of all the chicken juices.
Tray bake dinner – chicken drumsticks & crispy potatoes
This recipe also comes with an option for a side of crispy smashed potatoes. This is how I bake them on the same tray:
The Smashed Potatoes
- Microwave or boil medium size (single service size) potatoes until soft;
- Place on tray and smash using a potato masher, fork or glass; and
- Drizzle with butter or oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
The Chicken Legs
I then set the chicken on foil and fold up the edge to create a barrier to stop sauce and chicken juices crossing over to the potato side which would stop them from going crispy.
This way, they can play nicely together on the same tray in the oven, and come out just as intended – sticky and saucy drumsticks on one side, and crispy potatoes on the other side!
One tray winner winner chicken dinner!
- Sticky baked chicken drumsticks;
- Honey Mustard Sauce; AND
- crispy smashed potatoes.
Throw on a side of steamed veggies of choice and dinner is done.
Active effort time: just over 10 minutes.
Marinating time: Zero
Deliciousness rating: Well, let’s put it this way. There’s a reason why there’s only 7 drumsticks in the photo above when the recipe calls for 8…. Honestly, I have the self control of a child. It’s a disgrace. 😂
– Nagi x
More terrific baked chicken drumstick recipes
- Lemon Garlic Chicken and Potatoes
- Drumsticks with Chinese Plum Sauce
- Jamaican Jerk Drumsticks
- Greek Chicken (make this with drumsticks instead of thighs)
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Smashed Potatoes (optional):
- 4 x 150g/5oz potatoes (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp / 30 g olive oil or melted butter
- 8 chicken legs (about 1 kg / 2 lb) (Note 2)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard (Note 3)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard (or use more Dijon)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch (Note 4)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For serving (optional):
- Fresh thyme leaves or chopped parsley
- Steamed broccolini
Smashed Potatoes option:
- Microwave potatoes for 10 minutes on high or until cooked. (Note 5)
- Place on one side of tray. Squish using potato masher (Note 6) to about 1.7cm / 2/3" thickness. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If making smashed potatoes, fold up the edges of the foil the drumsticks are on
Sticky Baked Drumsticks:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix Sauce ingredients together with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Line tray with foil, then top with parchment paper.
- Place drumsticks on paper. If making smashed potatoes, fold up the edges of the foil so the sauce won't leak into the potatoes (doesn't need to be high - even 1cm / 2/5" is enough, video useful).
- Spoon Sauce over drumsticks. Drizzle chicken with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn drumsticks (not potatoes), spoon juices over drumsticks.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes, turn, spoon over juices. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden and sticky.
- Remove from oven. Squidge the drumsticks around in what should now be a syrupy sauce. (Note 7) Serve drumsticks with sauce, with crispy smashed potatoes and steamed broccolini on the side. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves if using.
Originally published 25 April 2018. Post and recipe tidied up and updated for housekeeping matters. No change to recipe ingredients.
LIFE OF DOZER
This recipe was originally published on ANZAC Day in Australia, on 25 April 2018. It’s a day when we commemorate the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (“ANZACs”) who served and sacrificed for our country in the first world war.
Dozer wears an Anzac rosemary sprig on his collar for (most of) the day and we make a donation to the ANZAC Appeal. A very small gesture.