Prawn Mango Avocado Summer Salad with Lime Dressing
Recipe video above (useful tips for chopping mango and avo). Prawns, Mango and Avocado are a magical combination! This summer salad is fresh and healthy, yet satisfying to have as a meal or great for sharing! Make this with: rice, quinoa, risoni/orzo or pearl couscous.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 - 5 people
- 2.5 cups cooked risoni/orzo or similar (Note 1)
- 300 – 400g / 10 – 12 oz cooked peeled prawns / shrimp (~750g unpeeled whole cooked)
- 1 large mango , cut 1.5cm / ½” pieces
- 1 large ripe avocado , cut 1.5cm / ½” pieces
- 75 g / 2.5 oz rocket / arugula , roughly chopped (Note 2)
- 250 g / 8oz cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 red onion , finely sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander / cilantro leaves , finely chopped (Note 2)
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice (fresh), plus more to taste
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Shake Dressing in a jar.
Chop prawns into 1.75 – 2 cm / 2/3” pieces.
Place all Salad Ingredients in a bowl, pour over dressing. Toss very gently using rubber spatula. Adjust to taste with more lime if desired. Serve immediately!
1. Other Options: Use anything that's fairly small so it gets soaked with all the juicy flavours going on in this salad. Risoni/orzo is my go-to for this type of salad (good shape for this type of salad, soaks up flavours well) and if I'm making to impress, I use Wild Rice (black rice looks dramatic + extra flavour from nuttiness of rice).
* Risoni / orzo (small rice shaped pasta) - use 3/4 cup uncooked, boil per packet (usually 7 minutes or so)
* Quinoa - cook per this recipe, use 3/4 cup (use recipe scaler in that recipe and adjust until uncooked quinoa amount becomes 3/4 cup)
* White Rices^ - 1 cup uncooked with 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan. Cover, bring to simmer, then turn down to medium low. Cook 12 - 15 min until water is absorbed, remove from heat, leave lid on. Stand 10 minutes, fluff, cool, use required amount for this recipe. Freeze remainder and stockpile to use for Fried Rice!
Best to use long grain or medium grain white rice, jasmine or basmati. Short grain or sushi rice also ok (but the previous listed are better). Do not use: risotto or paella rice.
* Brown Rice^ - 1 cup uncooked with 2 cups water. Cook as above except it will take 35 to 40 minutes, measure out amount required for this recipe.
* Wild Rice - cook per this recipe.
* Pearl / Giant Couscous - cook per packet
^ Hard to cook less than 1 cup. Put leftovers in freezer, stockpile and use for Fried Rice!
2. Variations / subs:
3. Servings - This will serve 4 to 5 people as a main, or 10 to 12 as a side salad with a selection of other dishes. It would be a terrific side to take to a gathering!
- Rocket (arugula) - sub with baby or normal spinach, other leafy greens or shredded cabbage
- Coriander/cilantro - sub with parsley or chives or green onion
- Other variations - lemon instead of lime, crab or other seafood, even chopped seafood sticks! Beans instead of risoni/orzo or for a low carb option, try cauliflower rice.
- Add ins - corn, cucumber, shaved fennel, cooked diced capsicum/bell peppers or zucchini
Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 252mg | Sodium: 1085mg | Potassium: 665mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1240IU | Vitamin C: 44.3mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 4.7mg