A big, juicy Prawn Mango Avocado Summer Salad!! Tossed with a fresh lime dressing, this is a magical combination of textures and flavours that’s summer in a (giant) bowl.
A terrific almost no-cook meal option or a great summer salad for a crowd. This is also how I make prawns (shrimp) stretch further!
Summer Salad – Prawns, Mango and Avocado!
I’m a bit fussy when it comes to fruit in meals. I never got on board the pork with apple thing. I’m not really a big fan of fruity sauces with roasts unless it errs more towards savoury or tart than sweet.
But mangoes with prawns? It’s a match made in heaven. It’s like tomato and basil. They are just meant to be!
Not that I’ve stopped there. Prawns and mango are the star ingredients in this summer salad, but just look at all the other goodness we’ve got here…. Creamy avocado – umm, hello! Juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh leafy greens, freshness from red onion and coriander/cilantro, all tossed through with a zesty lime dressing..
Who ever said salads are boring….! 😂
Make less prawns stretch further
You may have noticed that the prawns in this Summer Salad are chopped, which is a bit unusual. I do this for two reasons:
1. Stretch the prawns further – Big, juicy, bright orange prawns are in their prime during summer, but they aren’t cheap! Especially if you get really good quality ones.
So this is how I make less prawns go further. By chopping them, you get to have a bit of prawn in every single bite rather than just 5 prawns on your plate that disappear in 5 seconds. (Oh wait, is that just me? 😂)
2. Eat with a spoon – chopped = food you can eat with a spoon of which I am a big fan. Partly convenience (eg eyes remain glued to TV / book whilst eating), partly laziness (no need to cut with knife and fork). Partly greediness (you can shovel way more in your mouth in one go).
Make it a meal
This is a Summer Salad that’s intended to be a meal. And while it would be lower calorie to skip out on any type of carb, I like to fill this salad out using risoni / orzo, rice (any type) or quinoa (see this recipe for how to cook it). You’ll love how it soaks up all the flavour from the juicy prawns, mango and the dressing!
Giant couscous (pearl couscous) would also be ideal in this (cook it the way I do in this Israeli Couscous Salad). If you’re making this to impress, try using Wild Rice instead of risoni (cook it per this Wild Rice Salad recipe). The black colour and nuttiness of the rice looks and tastes spectacular!
How to make it
This is a straight forward recipe that calls for more chopping than anything else! Make the Lime Dressing first (just olive oil, fresh lime juice, garlic, S&P) to give the flavours time to meld. Cook the risoni/orzo. And meanwhile, chop the other ingredients, then bring it all together.
How to dice mango
Quick tip! Here’s an easy way to dice mango: Cut the cheeks off, score a grid in the flesh, then run a spoon around the rim then scoop the flesh out. And like magic, cubes of mango come tumbling out!
Depending on the size of your mango, some of these cubes will probably be larger than ideal so just cut them a bit smaller.
I just realised that I’ve used far more photos than necessary for such a simple Summer Salad.
I can’t resist. The self confessed Queen of Brown Foods (curries, gravies etc) is overly excited to be faced with all the beautiful colours in this salad.
Colourful food doesn’t happen often around here. Let me indulge! 😂 ~ Nagi x
Prawn, Mango Avocado Summer Salad
Watch How To Make It
Prawn Mango Avocado Summer Salad with Lime Dressing
- 2.5 cups cooked risoni/orzo or similar (Note 1)
- 300 – 400g / 10 – 12 oz cooked peeled prawns / shrimp (~750g unpeeled whole cooked)
- 1 large mango , cut 1.5cm / ½” pieces
- 1 large ripe avocado , cut 1.5cm / ½” pieces
- 75 g / 2.5 oz rocket / arugula , roughly chopped (Note 2)
- 250 g / 8oz cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 red onion , finely sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander / cilantro leaves , finely chopped (Note 2)
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice (fresh), plus more to taste
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Shake Dressing in a jar.
- Chop prawns into 1.75 – 2 cm / 2/3” pieces.
- Place all Salad Ingredients in a bowl, pour over dressing. Toss very gently using rubber spatula. Adjust to taste with more lime if desired. Serve immediately!
* Quinoa - cook per this recipe, use 3/4 cup (use recipe scaler in that recipe and adjust until uncooked quinoa amount becomes 3/4 cup)
* White Rices^ - 1 cup uncooked with 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan. Cover, bring to simmer, then turn down to medium low. Cook 12 - 15 min until water is absorbed, remove from heat, leave lid on. Stand 10 minutes, fluff, cool, use required amount for this recipe. Freeze remainder and stockpile to use for Fried Rice! Best to use long grain or medium grain white rice, jasmine or basmati. Short grain or sushi rice also ok (but the previous listed are better). Do not use: risotto or paella rice. * Brown Rice^ - 1 cup uncooked with 2 cups water. Cook as above except it will take 35 to 40 minutes, measure out amount required for this recipe. * Wild Rice - cook per this recipe. * Pearl / Giant Couscous - cook per packet ^ Hard to cook less than 1 cup. Put leftovers in freezer, stockpile and use for Fried Rice! 2. Variations / subs:
- Rocket (arugula) - sub with baby or normal spinach, other leafy greens or shredded cabbage
- Coriander/cilantro - sub with parsley or chives or green onion
- Other variations - lemon instead of lime, crab or other seafood, even chopped seafood sticks! Beans instead of risoni/orzo or for a low carb option, try cauliflower rice.
- Add ins - corn, cucumber, shaved fennel, cooked diced capsicum/bell peppers or zucchini
Life of Dozer
And 10 minutes later, he was still doing this….