Fennel is so refreshing, I love it raw. Shaving it is a great way to use it in salads and it matches perfectly with ribbons of zucchini. This is one of my “go to” salads, with or without the parmesan. It literally takes minutes to throw together, is quite unique, and even friends who aren’t huge fans of fennel (or zucchini) love this salad because slicing them thinly makes the flavour so much milder.
This is a great salad to have on the side of rich meals because it is so refreshing. If you omit the parmesan, it pairs wonderfully with Middle Eastern dishes. This is definitely a salad to add to your rotation – pop it in your RecipeTin app!
Zucchini Fennel Salad with Mint
- 1 medium fennel , or 2 baby fennels
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Handful of fresh mint , roughly torn
- Salt and pepper
- Shave the fennel using a mandolin, or slice finely.
- Use a potato peeler to shave zucchini "ribbons". Lie it down flat on the surface to do this. If the zucchini is thicker than the potato peeler, cut it in half vertically, then shave.
- Combine the mint, fennel and zucchini in a bowl, toss through the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan and gently toss with your fingers.
- Serve immediately.